Mitch

First trip to NYC, any advice?

1st time to NYC, what are the must sees and how many days should we be there to see them? 

Anna from Athens

I suggest that 5-6 days are good for New York City depending on how many things you want to check out and do. During my first visit I had 6 days and had the following itinerary:

Day 1: took the open top bus and did the downtown and uptown tour and walked around Chinatown and got up to Empire State Bldg

Day 2: Visited Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero (now One World Trade Center and Memorial pools for the twin towers) as well as Wall St

Day 3:  The Metropolitan Museum of Art and walking around Upper East Side and Central Park

Day 4: Museum of Modern Art, 5th Avenue and visiting Queens

Day 5: Walking around Greenwich Village, SoHo, Little Italy

I have more info on my blog:

http://aspectsofstyle.com/2013/10/31/new-york-city/

http://aspectsofstyle.com/2015/01/09/three-days-in-new-york-city/

http://aspectsofstyle.com/2015/05/29/greenwich-village-nyc/

http://aspectsofstyle.com/2015/02/19/3-restaurants-in-nyc-worth-visiting/ 

1. Empire State Bldg (attraction)
  2. Statue of Liberty (attraction)
  3. One World Trade Center (attraction)
  4. Wall St (attraction)
  5. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  6. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)

Michelle from Melbourne

I'm biased - I love NYC and there's so much to do. It's hard to recommend a number of days not knowing how long you're on holiday for, but I'd spend at least a week. Some great things to do: the Staten Island Ferry - this is free. You can take it day or night and the view, particularly on the way back past the Statue of Liberty and back towards Manhattan/Brooklyn is incredible. Also, take the subway to Brooklyn and walk back towards Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge - fantastic sight.

The area of NYC to stay in really reflects your personal tastes. I love the East Village, full of great bars and cafes. My first visit though, I stayed around Midtown, figuring it was an easy central base. I wouldn't recommend you staying around Times Square unless you can find a quiet hotel. It can stay quite loud all night. Manhattan is a great walking city but the subway is reasonably cheap and safe and you can get cabs at all hours.

I love to walk in NYC and take in the architecture, but my first trip I also quite enjoyed the perspective you get from the Circle Line Cruises sunset trip. It's very touristy, but it's a great way to see the sights. If you're intending to visit the Empire State Bldg, pick your time. Buying one of the tourist passes that gets you on the 'express elevator' only takes you up to the next holding 'pen' and the wait there can be substantial. I have a friend who swears by taking the latest one available at night and watching the twinkling lights.

Food? Well, you can find good food almost everywhere in NYC but I'd recommend steering clear of the huge touristy areas like Times Square. There's much better food at cheaper prices to be found elsewhere in the city, and particularly in the East Village.

1. Staten Island Ferry (attraction)
  2. Statue of Liberty (attraction)
  3. Circle Line Cruises (attraction)
  4. Empire State Bldg (attraction)

Hello Mitch. This is something that I wrote the other day for another Trippy member however I think It would be very helpful for you as well. Hopefully it helps! I would suggest to walk the city. This is what I do best every time I visit New York City . That doesn't mean that I don't do other activities however if you are blessed with good weather conditions, walking will be a must.  and a plus to take advantage of.  First of all, get a map of the city and divide it in upper side, midtown and lower Manhattan and try to do as much as possible. I would start walking Central Park and enjoying the beauty of amazing places such as Bethesda Terrace, Bow Bridge, Central Park Zoo, The Loeb Boathouse Central Park, Strawberry Fields, Belvedere Castle, American Museum of Natural Historyamong many others interesting places nearby the park.  Lower Manhattan will be your next stop. I would start walking Brooklyn Bridge , DUMBO, Flatiron Bldg,Chelsea Market, High Line Park, Madison Square Park, Greenwich Village, Chinatown New York, Little Italy, Statue of Liberty, Washington Square Park, Financial District,  etc. Last but not least, dedicate a day to walk 5th Ave, Times Square,  pick a Broadway show (The Lion Kingis my favorite), Bryant Park, Rockefeller Plaza, Empire State Bldg, Museum of Modern Art and/or NBC Studio Tour . This is just a guide; you can pick from here or add as many activities as you want.

Hope this helps!!!

1. New York City (city)
  2. Central Park (attraction)
  3. Bethesda Terrace (attraction)
  4. Bow Bridge (attraction)
  5. Central Park Zoo (attraction)
  6. The Loeb Boathouse Central Park (restaurant)
  7. Strawberry Fields (attraction)
  8. Belvedere Castle (attraction)
  9. American Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  10. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)
  11. DUMBO (attraction)
  12. Flatiron Bldg (attraction)
  13. Chelsea Market (attraction)
  14. High Line Park (attraction)
  15. Madison Square Park (attraction)
  16. Greenwich Village (neighborhood)
  17. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
  18. Little Italy (neighborhood)
  19. Statue of Liberty (attraction)
  20. Washington Square Park (attraction)
  21. Financial District (attraction)
  22. 5th Ave (attraction)
  23. Times Square (attraction)
  24. The Lion King (attraction)
  25. Bryant Park (attraction)
  26. Rockefeller Plaza (attraction)
  27. Empire State Bldg (attraction)
  28. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  29. NBC Studio Tour (attraction)