Stefanie
Ventura, California

First time in the City -- highlights?

What would you reccomend to do in the city for a first time visitor, and what deli would you say is the best?

terry from New York City

1. walk across the Brooklyn Bridgefrom Brooklyn Heights(where from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade there are great views of Manhattan and then  continue walking to nearby Chinatown New Yorkfor lunch.  Forget about Little Italyas it really doesn't exist anymore except for a bunch of overpriced bad restaurants.

2.  go to the Metropolitan Museum and after, walk south through Central Park, stopping at the Central Park Zoozoo.  Then step outside onto 5th Avenue and take a bus downtown (the M5).  Get off in Greenwich Village for supper at one of it's many great restaurants and a stroll around this charming historic neighborhood.

1. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)
  2. Brooklyn Heights (attraction)
  3. Brooklyn Heights Promenade (attraction)
  4. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
  5. Little Italy (neighborhood)
  6. Central Park (attraction)
  7. Central Park Zoo (attraction)
  8. Greenwich Village (neighborhood)

Loreto from Santiago, Chile

There're lots of things to visit in New York. Just walking around the city you'll find something interesting! but some of the ones that I recomend are High Line ParkChelsea Market Williamsburg

1. High Line Park (attraction)
  2. Chelsea Market (attraction)
  3. Williamsburg (neighborhood)

Edward from New York City

My #1 suggestion is to check out the Comedy Cellar every single friend/relative/visitor I've taken there has loved it. The comics are hilarious and celebrity comics are also known to stop by. Insider tip: get there early to sit near the front, this will guarantee the comics will pick on you! Trust me, it always ends up being a memorable experience!

1. Comedy Cellar (attraction)

Jennifer from Queens

Not so much for deli sandwiches, but if you like fish, Russ & Daughters is amazing!

1. Russ & Daughters (attraction)

Hola Stefanie. I am sure there will be a lot of suggestions from our fellows of Trippy as there are many places to enjoy while you visit  this amazing city for the first time. I will try to concentrate my suggestions on what I did when I visited NYC for the first time. You should concentrate the activities in midtown and lower Manhattan, this way you will save a lot of time. I will start with a long walk inside Central Park West, acceding the park until you find The Mall, Bethesda Fountain, Strawberry Fields, Central Park Zoo, American Museum of Natural History, Bow Bridge, among other beautiful places. Take a moment to walk 5th Ave, Times Square, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Plaza, The Loeb Boathouse Central Park.  A Broadway show is a must!

On the lower Manhattan I would recommend to visit the flwg places: Little Italy, Chinatown New York, Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty Museum Store, Ground Zero, High Line Park.

I always recommend 2/3 restaurants (as they are outstanding restaurants and not very expense). Maison, The Irish Pub, Montague Wine & Spirits and Le Pain Quotidien (for a delicious breakfast and/or lunch).

Every time I visit NYC I find different ways to amuse myself. I am sure you will do the same.

Saludos!!

1. Central Park West (attraction)
  2. Bethesda Fountain (attraction)
  3. Strawberry Fields (attraction)
  4. Central Park Zoo (attraction)
  5. American Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  6. Bow Bridge (attraction)
  7. 5th Ave (attraction)
  8. Times Square (attraction)
  9. Bryant Park (attraction)
  10. Rockefeller Plaza (attraction)
  11. The Loeb Boathouse Central Park (restaurant)
  12. Broadway (attraction)
  13. Little Italy (neighborhood)
  14. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
  15. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)
  16. Statue of Liberty Museum Store (attraction)
  17. Ground Zero (attraction)
  18. High Line Park (attraction)
  19. Maison (restaurant)
  20. The Irish Pub (attraction)
  21. Montague Wine & Spirits (attraction)
  22. Le Pain Quotidien (restaurant)

Adam from New Jersey

Because New York is a great walking city one of the best ways to enjoy it is to focus on neighborhoods rather than particular spots. 

For instance, the Lower East Side will give you the much praised Katz's Delicatessen along with the  Tenement Museumor the Museum Of Chinese In America just for starters.  You will be able to walk to SoHo and go gallery hopping.

Union Square will get you to the Strand(the largest in the City) and, depending on the day - and you should check, the marvelous Union Square Farmer's Market.   There are all sorts of wonderful restaurants around Union Square.

Midtown gives you Museum of Modern Art, The Paley Center For Media (formerly the Museum of Broadcasting).

You get the idea.  Essentially, don't spend your time in a taxi going from place to place - establish where you will be on a for a set period of time on a given day.  Have a list of things you'd like to see - I always have too long a list and then spend time as I like and not worry about running out of things.  Enjoy!

1. Katz's Delicatessen (restaurant)
  2. Tenement Museum (attraction)
  3. Museum Of Chinese In America (attraction)
  4. Strand (attraction)
  5. Union Square (neighborhood)
  6. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  7. The Paley Center For Media (attraction)

Tracy

Walk the High Line Park. I like doing it from north to south, stopping at Chelsea Market for a snack, and then ending up somewhere nearish to 10th and 10th and then walking east for one (or more) drinks in the East Village

Here are some photos from a winter walk: http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2013/02/07/nyc-highline-winter/

I also highly recommend avoiding Times Square. ;-) 

1. High Line Park (attraction)
  2. East Village (neighborhood)
  3. Chelsea Market (attraction)

Denise from New York, New York

1. Katz's Delicatessen (restaurant)
  2. Empire State Building (attraction)
  3. Little Italy (neighborhood)
  4. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
  5. Central Park (attraction)
  6. Rockefeller Center (attraction)
  7. Times Square (attraction)

Katz's Delicatessen is the bomb! And totally traditional, historic, and yummy!

1. Katz's Delicatessen (restaurant)