Aaron
North Loop

Favorite "this is where the locals go" restaurants.

Traveling to New York in October with another couple. Spending a long weekend, and would like to find some of the best restaurants locals currently enjoy.  Could be new, could be classics. Looking for any price range.  

Jeannette from Brooklyn

Hi Aaron,

I've been living in NYC for about 5 years now (Manhattan for 4, been in Brooklyn for 1), and LOVE going out to eat. I haven't been to most of the ultra-top-rated-Michelin-star restaurants, but here are some of my (affordable) favorites:

For the best BREAD, you should try Sullivan Street Bakery. It's hidden among a sea of car dealerships in Hell's Kitchen, but definitely worth the trek. Try the steccas, bombolinis, and pizza squares. 

For BRUNCH, I recommend Northern Spy Food Co, a cute farm-to-table spot in the East Village with a seasonal menu. Try the biscuits, pork sticky rolls, and corned beef hash.

Another BRUNCH favorite is Diner in Williamsburg. The atmosphere is laid back with a diner feel, but the food is exquisite because it's not actual diner food. It's AMAZING. The menu changes daily and has yet to disappoint. The pancakes are always a hit, poached eggs are perfectly poached, and my mom deemed their grass fed burger the best she's ever had...because of COURSE I took my mom here when she visited.

If you're into RAMEN, check out Ippudo NY. There are a couple locations in the city, but the restaurant originated in Japan. Prepare to wait at least 40 minutes for a table and then be mind blown by the sinfully delicious pork broth soaked ramen noodles. Start with the hirata buns and wash it down with an ice cold Sapporo!

While you're in the neighborhood, make your way over to 7th St/1st Ave for a frosty treat at Big Gay Ice Cream Shop. It gets a lot of hype, and the lines are long, but I promise it's worth it. Salty Pimp and Monday Sundae won't disappoint. ICE CREAM!

I could go on and on, but I'll leave you with one last recommendation for a memorable DINNER. Okay this place actually has 1 Michelin star (occasionally I splurge): Gramercy Tavern. It's a classic. What I love about Gramercy Tavern is that you're not just getting a superb meal, you're partaking in a whole, unique dining experience. It's a beautiful restaurant adorned with in-season flowers and plants. The service is incredible and they even give you breakfast for the next morning. Try the seasonal tasting menu, worth every penny.

1. Sullivan Street Bakery (restaurant)
  2. Northern Spy Food Co (restaurant)
  3. Diner (restaurant)
  4. Ippudo NY (restaurant)
  5. Big Gay Ice Cream Shop (restaurant)
  6. Gramercy Tavern (restaurant)

Danielle from New York City

Here are some my local fav's: The Smith Restaurantin the east village has amazing food and a great atmosphere,Bubby's in TriBeCa for brunch, the Burger Joint in the Le Parker Meridien New York, and Mighty Quinn's Barbeque east village. I also love Rosemary's and The Meatball Shop for some good west village eats!

1. The Smith Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Bubby's (restaurant)
  3. Burger Joint (restaurant)
  4. Le Parker Meridien New York (hotel)
  5. Mighty Quinn's Barbeque (restaurant)
  6. Rosemary's (restaurant)
  7. The Meatball Shop (restaurant)

Anthony from New York City

If you like street food (or at least the ability to nibble at little bits of this and that) you should check out Smorgasburg food market - weekends only.

1. Smorgasburg (attraction)

Brian from Vancouver

Hi mate,

I was in New York over New Year's and in July this year. There are tons of great places that people have mentioned above.  I have included some gems;

Barbecue food in Williamsburg, Brooklyn Fette Sau

Doughnut at Dough

Cookie at Levain Bakery.

1. Fette Sau (restaurant)
  2. Dough (attraction)
  3. Levain Bakery (restaurant)

Check out Coppola's East. The food is insanely good and very moderately priced. 

1. Coppola's East (restaurant)

Kim from New York City

More specifics on what type of food or where would make it a little easier to give recommendations. But here are some that are my go-to's or places that I just really like:

SriPraPhai is the best Thai, but it's in Queens

Le Parisien is a good neighborhood French bistro on 33rd Street. 

El Quinto Pino or La Nacional (more traditional) are great for tapas.

Golden Unicorn for dim sum. 

Ushiwakamaru for sushi.

Craftbar is a nice American spot near Union Square.

The Cecil in Harlem.

Maialino for Italian.

I could go on. There are tons of great places! 

1. SriPraPhai (restaurant)
  2. Le Parisien (restaurant)
  3. El Quinto Pino (restaurant)
  4. La Nacional (restaurant)
  5. Golden Unicorn (restaurant)
  6. Ushiwakamaru (restaurant)
  7. Craftbar (restaurant)
  8. The Cecil (restaurant)
  9. Maialino (restaurant)

Devora

Taïm for delicious falafel!

1. Taïm (restaurant)