Annemarie

Annemarie from New York City asked

Decent Midtown spot for lunch or coffee?

A friend just switched jobs and now works right in the thick of it all on 36th and Broadway. We have weekly catchup lunches, which used to happen in quiet Downtown cafes, and now I'm searching for somewhere to meet up with her around her office.

Are there any good, quiet lunch spots or cafes in the lower Midtown area where we can catch up without the din of tourists and prix fixe menus? 

As a native New Yorker, it pains me to ask, but am not above 14th street too often. Thanks! 

Luba

Penelope on 30th street and Lexington

Courtney
I second this--it's a great place.

Grant
third.

Luciana
I was going to give the same suggestion :-)

1. Penelope (restaurant)
katie from Brooklyn

I like Nizza on 9th Avenue and 44th street. It's a bit more west, but it gets you out of the midtown bustle while still being easy to get to. Amazing pasta!

Annemarie
Thanks Katie. I'll check it out. Sounds perfect! By the way, I added the @ symbol to your location. That's how we make the map on the right side of the page pop up.

1. Nizza (restaurant)
Sarah

I had lunch at a place called The Liberty  on 35th between 6th and 5th a few months ago and it could totally do the trick. Great cocktails, a modern and quiet setting, plates that are big enough to get one for a light lunch or a few to share.  29 West 35th Street

Annemarie
Thanks Sarah! By the way, I put the little @-symbol before your location to make the map appear on the right side of the page. You don't need to put the address, just @-mention the spot and a menu with addresses will appear for you to pick from. Thanks again!

1. The Liberty (attraction)
  2. 29 West 35th Street (attraction)
Jenni from New York City

Hi Annmarie!

My husband owns Golf Manhattan  on 39th and 6th Avenue. It's an indoor golf facility that serves salads and sandwiches for lunch. Whether or not you play golf, it's a quiet and lovely place to hang out with free WiFi.

Hope this helps.
Jenni

Annemarie
Love me some free wifi. Thanks Jenni!

1. Golf Manhattan (attraction)