Peter

New York City, Boston

Day Trip: NYC to Boston

I'm here in NYC (thanks to everyone who answered my last question!​) until Wednesday May 27. I'm considering doing a day trip to Boston before then. A few questions:

• How reasonable is it and do I need more than 1 day? It looks like it will take 4 hours to get there by car/bus/train.
  • Best and most affordable method of travel. So far I've looked into the Bolt/Megabus route.
  • How easy would it be to get around without a car?
  • Things in Boston that would make the trip totally worth it.

Kathy from New York City

Boston is fabulous - and I highly recommend it.  But, it will be quite a short trip.  If you only have one day, I would instead recommend Philadelphia, which is only 2 hours away. Note: that you can take NJ Transit for far less $ than Amtrak, and it only takes about 1/2 hour more.

1. Boston (city)
  2. Philadelphia (city)

Noah from Vienna, Virginia

I've heard the Peter Pan bus or the china-town bus is the cheapest way to make the trip (http://www.chinatown-bus.org/)

Getting around Boston without a car is totally reasonable and doable, if not preferable. The T (subway) is great, and you can rent bikes.

I'd day definitely stay more than one day. I'd reccomend 3! 

A trolley tour, a Red Sox game at Fenway Park, Freedom Trail, mosey around Cambridge (Massachusetts)/Harvard Square

Skip Faneuil Hall: tourist trap.  

1. Boston (city)
  2. Fenway Park (attraction)
  3. Freedom Trail (attraction)
  4. Cambridge (Massachusetts) (city)
  5. Harvard Square (attraction)

Krista from San Francisco

Hi Peter,

I highly recommend spending at least one night if you're traveling from NYC to Boston as the transportation alone is about 4 hours each way.

I think the train is your best bet for transportation, though I've taken both the Bolt and Fung-wah buses and had fine experiences on both. When I lived back East, Fung-wah was the most affordable - but is known to be kind of a crazy ride (though I never encountered that).

When in Boston, I recommend:

The T (Boston's subway system) is actually pretty dependable and easy to navigate, and should all else fail, there's always Lyft/Uber and an abundance of cabs to get around. No car needed (and trust me - you don't want to be driving/parking one!)

Good luck. :)

1. Deuxave (restaurant)
  2. Boston Chops (restaurant)
  3. Skywalk Observatory (attraction)
  4. Fenway Park (attraction)
  5. Faneuil Hall Marketplace (attraction)
  6. Freedom Trail (attraction)
  7. King's Chapel (attraction)
  8. Beacon Hill (attraction)
  9. Boston Common (attraction)
  10. Mike's Pastry (restaurant)
  11. North End (neighborhood)
  12. Back Bay (neighborhood)
  13. Newbury St (attraction)
  14. Cambridge (Massachusetts) (city)
  15. Harvard University (attraction)
  16. Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (attraction)

Ryan from New York City

It is kind of a long day trip and Boston is a big city with a lot to do so you're better off at least spending one night. The bus is probably cheapest and it takes around the same time as the train. Very easy to get around without a car

1. Boston (city)

Katherine from Boston

You can do Boston in a day, but I'd recommend at least two days. It will take 4 hours at a minimum and that eats up a bunch of time.

Boltbus/Megabus is definitely the cheapest option. It's also probably better than driving because you don't have to keep your eyes on the road. You can also use the free wifi and get some email done. Needless to say, I like the train the best; it has the same perks. While it's more expensive, you're not subject to traffic. And there's always traffic at some point.

It's pretty easy to get around Boston without a car (definitely nothing like LA). The "T" can get you to most places of interest, and there are plenty of Uber drivers around. My favorite way to get around the city is actually to walk. The city is really not that big, and it's very walk-friendly.

If I were to do one thing in Boston, I'd probably walk the Freedom Trail. It's just a great way to see the historic sites and a lot of different neighborhoods. And if there's more time, I'd go on a Boston Duck Tour and/or walk down Newbury St. (If you like baseball, don't forget Fenway!)

1. Boston (city)
  2. Freedom Trail (attraction)
  3. Newbury St (attraction)

Jenn from Boston

A day trip is pretty tricky. I hear the cheap buses are OK and will certainly save you money. If you can come in the night before and find a cheap hotel, you will be able to see much more. There is SO much to do so it depends on your interest. You can get around on the T pretty well so you won't need a car. I am a huge fan of being on the water. I love the New England Aquarium from that area you can take a sail boat for amazing views of Boston Horbor with Come Sail Away Now If you are more into museums there is the Museum of Fine Artsand the Institute of Contemporary Art A typically tourist thing to do, and free to walk around would be to follow the Freedom Trailand visit Faneuil Hallfor some amazing eats. Good luck!

1. New England Aquarium (attraction)
  2. Come Sail Away Now (attraction)
  3. Museum of Fine Arts (attraction)
  4. Institute of Contemporary Art (attraction)
  5. Freedom Trail (attraction)
  6. Faneuil Hall (attraction)