Courtney

Cultural events in NYC in December 2013?

Headed home to NYC for Christmas this year (can't wait!!!). Wondering if anyone knows of interesting cultural events (concerts, exhibits, festivals, etc.) I should try to catch while there. Not particularly interested in touristy events (no Rockettes, please:), but other than that I'm open to ideas! I love art, music, theater, cabaret, dance, etc., etc. I'll be there in late December, early January. 

Sylvio from San Francisco

Courtney, you must see The McKittrick Hotel. Interactive and immersive theater play. It is absolutely amazing.

1. The McKittrick Hotel (attraction)

katie from Brooklyn

This is definitely atypical, but Santacon happens around mid-December every year, so you might just miss it. But I always think it's fantastic for people watching. 

Another fun one is Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. It's an improv comedy studio. I find it hit or miss, but mostly hit. Especially the troupe on Thursday evenings.

I recently did the dinner and burlesque show at  Duane Park and found it really enjoyable.

Last, check out the dance line-up at either  The Joyce Theater or  Brooklyn Academy of Music.

1. Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre (attraction)
  2. Brooklyn Academy of Music (attraction)
  3. Duane Park (attraction)
  4. The Joyce Theater (attraction)

Michael from Tacoma

As the Holidays approach, I'd visit http://www.timeout.com/newyork to watch for holiday events. Right now at the site, the Things to Do section lists some December events. I imagine you'll see more events over the next 6 weeks.

Annemarie from New York City

Bryant Park opens their skating rink and "Christmas village" in a few weeks. It's where I buy all of my holiday gifts, and there are food truck-style kiosks of apple cider and snacks as well.

Union Square Park holds the same kind of market, but sans ice skating and big Christmas tree, so it isn't quite as seasonal.

1. Bryant Park (attraction)
  2. Union Square Park (attraction)