Evelyn
Carson (California)

Cool, trendy and budget friendly places to visit/eat in NYC in October?

I am 23yrs old and will be traveling to New York late October for a week. What are some cool, trendy and budget friendly places to visit/eat? Also some must-do's or alternate options for touristy locations?

Some general locations I am considering are:

• Central Park
    MOMA
  • The empire state building or top of the rock.

Bart from New York City

Choose Top of the Rock instead of the Empire State Bldg  if you wan to avoid long lines and discomfort.

1. Top of the Rock (attraction)
  2. Empire State Bldg (attraction)

Bryan from Richmond Hill

Top of the Rock is good, as you can get a picture of the Empire State Bldg from there.

Also, see if you can get tickets to something like the Tonight Show. Once did a trip that consisted mainly of seeing tapings of shows. All were free, and all were fun.

For eating, we like to go to Cafe Un Deux Trois before a play. Great food, nice atmosphere. http://www.cafeundeuxtrois.com/ is their site, but be warned it plays obnoxious music when you load it.

1. Top of the Rock (attraction)
  2. Empire State Bldg (attraction)
  3. Cafe Un Deux Trois (restaurant)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

Chinatown New York is justifiably world famous. My favorite spot is Joe's Shanghai on Pell St. -- definitely have the soup dumplings. (I used to love Wo Hop, another famous Chinatown place on Mott St., but I haven't been there in a long time.)

Our routine has always been to walk up to Little Italy after dinner for pastry and espresso. We like Ferrara Bakery & Cafe, but it's one of many well-regarded spots.

1. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
  2. Joe's Shanghai (restaurant)
  3. Wo Hop (restaurant)
  4. Little Italy (attraction)
  5. Ferrara Bakery & Cafe (restaurant)

Matt from New York City

Some of my favorite places to eat:

• Burger Joint inside the Le Parker Meridien Hotel (the map is displaying this in the incorrect location)
  • The original Shake Shack in Madison Square Park
  • Parm serves stupendous Italian sandwiches...
  • ...but the best Italian sandwiches in the city are at Defonte's Sandwich Shop. Public transit won't get you close, but it's worth the hike. You'll get two meals out of one sandwich.
  • Lucali might be the most popular pizza place in the city right now.

All of these will run you under $15 for a solid meal.

If you want to go ultra-budget-friendly, eat at one of the many Halal food carts. They pretty much all have the same menu. Some of these guys are known among locals to be better than others, but it's hard to find a bad one. They will provide more than one meal for $4. I like lamb on rice with a little bit of the white sauce; I'm not really sure what it is, but it's great. If I'm in a social situation where I don't mind making a huge mess, I get a lamb gyro, prepared the same way.

1. Burger Joint (restaurant)
  2. Shake Shack (restaurant)
  3. Parm (restaurant)
  4. Defonte's Sandwich Shop (restaurant)
  5. Lucali (restaurant)

Anna from Athens

For Museum of Modern Art I suggest you visit on a Friday afternoon when they have free entrance (If you happen to be on Friday in NYC that is). Also check out the new Whitney Museum of American Art which is at the end of High Line Park in the hip Meatpacking District! In this area I definitely recommend Gansevoort Market which has lots of restaurants inside! 

For ideas on what to see I've written a couple of posts:

http://aspectsofstyle.com/2013/10/31/new-york-city/

http://aspectsofstyle.com/2015/01/09/three-days-in-new-york-city/

http://aspectsofstyle.com/2015/05/29/greenwich-village-nyc/

Let me know if you need any more info!

1. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  2. Whitney Museum of American Art (attraction)
  3. High Line Park (attraction)
  4. Gansevoort Market (attraction)

Emma from United Kingdom

You HAVE to go to STK Downtown in the meat packing district, it's such a great night out .

1. STK Downtown (restaurant)

Raman from New York City

Caracas Arepa Bar in East Village 

1. Caracas Arepa Bar (restaurant)