Allie
Buenos Aires

Coffee shops to do work near East Village or Chelsea

I'm going to be in NYC next week and need a good coffee shop to do work near the East Village or Chelsea, with wifi and ideally outlets (and good coffee/food always a plus). Any suggestions?

Damien from New York City

I know people have mentioned Think Coffee but I'm going to mention it again. I prefer the Think Coffee on 8th Avenue and Greenwich off of 14th Street (73 8th Avenue). That's Chelsea proper / West Village. That Think Coffee used to be a club (Pink Elephant) so it has some really good depth, with a front and back area. The outlets are there but you have to scope them out. At least they don't close them off like some Starbucks do. 

Plus, the coffee is actually good.

1. Think Coffee (restaurant)

Matthew from Brooklyn

I've always been a fan of Think Coffee near Union Square, which is smack-dab between the two NYC neighborhoods.  They have fair-trade coffee that makes up my daily routine, as well as solid pastries and sandwiches, which can be served with beer when the occasion calls for it.  Not to mention the requisite WiFi you'll need while working, which you'll be in good company; the founders of Foursquare used to hang out here and did some of their initial coding while sipping on java...

1. Think Coffee (restaurant)

Grant from New York City

Grey Dog has two locations. One in Chelsea (16th b/w 7th and 8th) and one in Greenwich Village (University at 11th)  Not 100% sure on wifi, but they're great spots with a local feel and religious neighboor hood mainstays.

-Grant

1. Grey Dog (restaurant)

Annemarie from New York City

I love Think Coffee, as Matthew mentioned above. In the same neighborhood there's a spot called Everyman Espresso, which is an NYU kid hangout -- super intimate and great people watching. Also, it's not independent but there's a huge Le Pain Quotidien with free wifi and community seating, and a lot of media folks grab pots of coffee and work from there for a change of scenery from their offices. Enjoy!

1. Think Coffee (restaurant)
  2. Le Pain Quotidien (restaurant)
  3. Everyman Espresso (restaurant)