Allie
Charleston

Classic NYC pizza slice?

Going to NYC and have a lot of questions... but one that seems paramount is where to get a low maintenance class NYC slice of pizza... not a fancy pizza place but a greasy, delicious paper plate kind of joint

Mark from Park Slope

For a by-the-slice joint, New York Pizza Suprema is absolutely fantastic. Joe's Pizza is another New York staple and is a force to be reckoned with and the pizza is ALWAYS right out of the oven (this place gets busy).

If you've got 3+ people and want to do a whole pie, the absolute best you can find in Manhattan is John's Pizzeria. They don't sell single slices, so that's the only reason I didn't mention this place first. But this is the best pizza in Manhattan.

Avoid all the votes for Lombardi's Pizza, they don't serve typical "new york slices", you won't find what you're looking for here. 

1. New York Pizza Suprema (restaurant)
  2. Joe's Pizza (restaurant)
  3. John's Pizzeria (restaurant)
  4. Lombardi's Pizza (restaurant)

Scott from San Francisco

There is a difference between slice places and places that serve whole pies, so I'll stick with slices on this answer.  Unfortunately there have been many low level slice joints opening up in NYC so rule #1, avoid the $1 slice places - they're awful.  Go to Joe's Pizza for a classic slice.  If you must, try one of the Ray's slices, those are decent and they're all over the place. This link is a resource dedicated to identifying the best slice based upon neighborhood locations, though it's a bit clunky to navigate http://slice.seriouseats.com/tags/Corner%20Slice.  Finally, if you want something different, try Artichoke Basille's Pizza for their odd but addicting Artichoke slice, but it's NOT a classic - it's gooey cheesy and is best described as artichoke dip on a pizza crust, a description that does not do it justice (multiple locations but the one in the Village is the one I've tried).  

1. Joe's Pizza (restaurant)
  2. Artichoke Basille's Pizza (restaurant)

Denise from New Orleans

Another vote for Lombardi's Pizza- that's where we go at work when we want a cheap, really good slice for lunch!

1. Lombardi's Pizza (restaurant)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

It was a very long time ago, and I can't vouch for it today, but the best pizza I've ever had was at V&T Pizzeria, at 110th Street and Amsterdam Avenue, near Columbia University and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. I hope it's still as good as I remember it.

1. V&T Pizzeria (restaurant)

Mein from Toronto

Have a look at these places in New York City:

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/one-mans-quest-to-eat-every-dollar-slice-in-nyc/ 

https://instagram.com/dollarpizzaslicenyc/ 

He's eating at least a Slice a Day based on a bet with a friend that he can:

'I went and got a dollar slice around the corner, and I thought, “I could probably eat this all the time.” My friend challenged me that I couldn’t eat at every dollar pizza joint in the five boroughs, so we made it official with a hundred dollar bet'

Rating slices based on Cheese/Sauce/and Crust with pics too!

Happy Hunting (and eating)   :0)

1. New York City (city)

Great pizza is everywhere, so I tend to gravitate to the classics.  Lombardi's Pizza near Little Italy, and I love the hodge-podge of rooms that make up the place.  Di Fara Pizza gets absolutely rave reviews-still.  And even though they are expanding outside NY, Grimaldi's is still great-go to the Brooklyn location near the bridge.

1. Lombardi's Pizza (restaurant)
  2. Di Fara Pizza (restaurant)
  3. Grimaldi's (restaurant)

Melody from New York, New York

My absolute favorite pizza slice is from My Little Pizzeria.  I swear by their regular and margarita slices.  Brooklyn Heights, Boerum Hill and Cobble Hill, are all great neighborhoods to explore as well while you are there.  Check out Smith StCourt St and all of the beautiful brownstones that line the streets of Brooklyn Heights.  Enjoy!

1. My Little Pizzeria (restaurant)
  2. Smith St (attraction)
  3. Court St (attraction)
  4. Brooklyn Heights (attraction)

Every 2 blocks you will find these greasy pizza places you are asking for. There are many near Times Square or Bryant Park . So don't worry, you will see them while walking around.

Enjoy it!!

1. Times Square (attraction)
  2. Bryant Park (attraction)