Eunice
Turrialba

New York City, Brooklyn

Cheap hotel or hostel to stay for one night?

I was suppose to be staying with my boyfriend and a friend in a airbnb rented apartment for a week in Brooklyn area, however just recently learned we will have to stay another night somewhere else. We are considering a cheap hotel or hostel. Any to recommend? We are on a student budget! :P

Definitely check out Hotel 414. It's in Hell's Kitchen which isn't the best neighborhood but it's inexpensive and really cute. It's very clean and the staff is great. There's also an adorable little courtyard where you can hang out and socialize with other guests. 

Also check out The Pod Hotel. This is more of a true hostel but it's clean and very cheap. I've never stayed here but I have a friend who stays here a lot and says it's great. 

1. Hotel 414 (hotel)
  2. Hell's Kitchen (attraction)
  3. The Pod Hotel (hotel)

Jack from Atlanta

Check out The New York Loft Hostel. Great Brooklyn location right next to a subway line. It has shared and private rooms with an big open canopy backyard common area. They also provide breakfast. 

1. The New York Loft Hostel (hotel)

J from New York City

The Jane Hotel is a good option, only 99 dollars for a night's stay

1. The Jane Hotel (hotel)

Saul from Berkeley, California

I would check-out airBnB. I've found that you really can't beat their prices when it comes to NY. Try looking in Brooklyn Heights. While it isn't Manhattan, you have have 5+ subways within a 10 minute walk and it is just one stop into Brooklyn. Plus that area is fantastic. There are probably good ones for one night.

1. Brooklyn Heights (attraction)
  2. Manhattan (region)
  3. Brooklyn (neighborhood)

Jared from Angelika Film Center & Cafe

They don't exist! You're in New York so cheap doesn't really happen in these parts.

Look up places in Astoria, Queens on airbnb - it's the cheapest area that's close to Manhattan (albeit far from Brooklyn).  If you're committed to Brooklyn, cheaper areas you could find on airbnb for Prospect Heights (possibly).

1. Queens (neighborhood)
  2. Manhattan (region)
  3. Brooklyn (neighborhood)
  4. Astoria (metro area)
  5. Prospect Heights (neighborhood)

Alessio from Pisa, Italy

If you are easy and not afraid to wait last minute, I recommend waiting 5~7pm and then using the Name Your Price feature of Priceline. I generally do that when there and grab 4~5 stars hotel for super reasonable prices!

Desiree from Kaohsiung

There are a couple on The Bowery that I know about. I actually stayed at The Bowery House and would recommend it for one or two nights. The Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel was recently written up here: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/03/26/spending_the_night_inside_nycs_worst_hostel_cost_45.php?skip_mobile_check=true.

At the same time I found The Bowery House I found The Jane Hotel. I'd like to stay there next time.

1. The Bowery (attraction)
  2. The Bowery House (hotel)
  3. Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel (hotel)
  4. The Jane Hotel (hotel)