Carlos
Woodbridge, Virginia

Cheap Traveling for Artist

I am planning on visiting New York sometime in March possibly, to  explore simply from a sense of passionate curosity of Art Themes in relation to Life's exploration through self-knowledge, what better way to do so then to walk on the cutting edge and step where I haven't before, I have not a specific goal to fulfil here, I know nothing of New York in general and am just wondering what are some//any of the places that are commonly//and uncommonly visited for exploring Artist, now I've heard of the museums yet not of the location and cost of temporary living//housing that would be decent in its closeness to 'everything' would anyone like to assist me on my journey and giving their input on the 'where' 'when' 'how' with an open minded perspective of possibilities?! :) thank you!!  

Eddie from Penang, Malaysia

All the art action takes place in Brooklyn Bushwick. Google search for Bushwick artist studios, open house etc. Here are a few links.

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/walking-tours/new-york-graffiti-and-street-art-tours/

http://artsinbushwick.org/

http://www.bushwickgalleries.com/spaces

http://bushwickdaily.com/2014/09/a-newbies-guide-to-the-bushwick-art-scene-select-galleries-studios-who-is-who-and-where-to-submit/

Look for AirBnb deep in Bushwick that would probably be pretty cheap as well.

jami from New York City

Museum of Modern Art is free on Friday after 5pm as well as the museums listed by Jack Smith. But here's the deal, NYC is alive and teeming with interesting people and characters and sensations. You might take a walk though Union Square and see film students from the nearby New York Film Academy making a student film. You could take a walk though the Meatpacking District and run into one of the many fashion designers (who have their workshops in the neighborhood) out and about photographing their new line. Or head out to Astoria and visit Chinatown and engross yourself in the culture and get inspired by some truly amazing food! If inspiration is what you are looking for then hit the streets and just take it all in. Get lost, eat something weird, meet new people!!! I live here and experience something new almost everyday, just this morning I was walking through the subway station Bryant Park and spent a couple of minutes listening to a gentleman rocking out on bagpipes, BAGPIPES!!!! 

1. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  2. Union Square (attraction)
  3. New York Film Academy (attraction)
  4. Meatpacking District (neighborhood)
  5. Astoria (metro area)
  6. Bryant Park (attraction)

Jack

The Metropolitan Museum of ArtThe CloistersAmerican Museum of Natural Historyare basically free (the signs will say $20 or something but you can just pay $1 at ticket booth).  At the The Frick Collection, you can also pay $1 on Sunday.  The Jewish Museum is free on Saturday.

1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. The Cloisters (attraction)
  3. American Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  4. The Frick Collection (attraction)
  5. Jewish Museum (attraction)

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello,

I love visiting New York City and have been able to go almost every year in recent history. I always try to stay in a different borough/neighborhood to get a different taste of the city. 

"Affordable" housing is basically non-existent, especially if it has access to "everything." If you are looking for housing that is reasonable by NYC standards, you can probably count Manhattan out. Luckily, public transit is amazing and as long as you are within walking distance of a subway station you have access to anywhere in the city.

I would recommend looking on airbnb.com to looking for temporary housing. You can compare reviews, neighborhoods, and the difference of getting a room in someone else's apartment (roommates essentially), or possibly a studio apartment for yourself. 

Her are some neighborhoods that I have stayed in with less outrageous priced accommodations and that I liked: 

Astoria in Queens

Bronxdale Avenue in the Bronx

Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn

Park Slope in Brooklyn

Here is also a neighborhood guide on Airbnb. It's not all inclusive by any means, but it's a start:

https://www.airbnb.com/locations/new-york/neighborhoods

Happy travels!

1. New York City (city)
  2. Astoria (metro area)
  3. Bronxdale Avenue (attraction)
  4. Flatbush Avenue (attraction)
  5. Park Slope (attraction)