Marilyn
Vancouver

Marilyn from Vancouver asked

Budget hotel in or around Manhattan

We have great accommodations for most of our 10 day trip to New York.  However we would like a budget hotel for the last two days.  We were looking at Yotel or pod 51 however we missed a good deal for Yotel. We want something clean and with easy access to tourist places. Is it worth looking slightly outside Manhattan?  We don't want to get tangled up in a long commute. Any suggestions for specific hotels or areas to look?

Nina

check out listings on airbnb. you'll be spoiled for options of where to stay in new york, and you'll get an experience that will make you feel like a local, which is something hotels can't offer. 

Marilyn
Thx Nina! I was a little concerned about apt. rentals due to "bad press" on sites like Travelocity where they warn against renters of illegal suites in NYC. I guess there have been some scammers out there. I have used airbnb before and had good results. I actually prefer this type of accommodation. Thx again for your help.

Carlyle from Washington, DC

I love the The Jane Hotel . Tiny rooms and shared bathroom gets the lowest price but they do have larger rooms for a bit more. It's located on far west side a few blocks from meatpacking district and the High Line Park Also a cool lounge/bar located inside the hotel.

1. The Jane Hotel (hotel)
  2. High Line Park (attraction)

Check out the The Harlem Flophouse. I know it sounds like, well, a flophouse, but it's spotless and very cheap. Not the most convenient area, but it's in the city. 

Jen from Chicago

Check out Travel Inn Hotel on 42nd! Great location and price for budget accomodations. Safe neighborhood, 2 blocks to A-C-E trains and lots of great dining, broadway shows, etc. I just stayed there last week. Plus there's an outdoor pool which is fun if there are kids in your travel group.

Marilyn
Thanks Jen! I'll check into it.