Megan
West Virginia

Best way to spend a New York Christmas?

My family will be spending 3 days in NYC this Christmas and I'm wondering about fun experiences that will be happening over the holidays.We will be there Christmas Eve,Christmas day,and the day after.Already planning to see the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City,look at the window displays,and see the tree in Rockafeller Center.Any other great things to see and do?Any recommendations for restaurants that serve a special holiday meal? There are two adults in their 30's,an 86 year old woman,and a 9 year old girl in our group so it all needs to be family friendly stuff.Thank you!

Kourosh from Pacifica

I assume you are staying close to Mid-Town/Times Square. If so, I recommend Bond 45 as a place to eat. It's got good food and it's an atmosphere that's fine for everyone from 9 to 86. For looking at windows displays, you can't beat Bergdorf Goodman. I also love going to the The Metropolitan Museum of Art that time of year -- although you should get your tickets well in advance. And given the youngsters and oldsters, I'd get a ride on the horse carriages on the southern end of Central Park around Columbus Circle

1. Bond 45 (restaurant)
  2. Bergdorf Goodman (attraction)
  3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  4. Columbus Circle (attraction)

John from Boulder

You should probably at least walk through Grand Central Terminal for the decorations, but if you can, grab a drink at one of the bars there and just watch the people go by for a while. Also, many of the larger churches in NYC have extremely talented choirs that are active throughout the Christmas season. Try Trinity Church or maybe the Methodist Home for Nursing & Rehabilitation in Midtown. I'm sure the Catholic cathedral has a good choir, but they will likely be packed throughout the holiday season. 

1. Grand Central Terminal (attraction)
  2. Trinity Church (attraction)
  3. Methodist Home for Nursing & Rehabilitation (attraction)

Fritzi from San Francisco

I recommend you visit The Metropolitan Museum of Art.  There is a beautiful Christmas Tree and the setting is magical.  I also suggest you stop by a few historic churches for services; even if you are not religious, the atmosphere and setting will touch you deeply.   My favorites are St. Bartholomew's Church, which has amazing mozaics and architecture, Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, world-renoun choir, you should attend services, and Trinity Church on Wall Street, which will take you to lower Manhattan.  At the holiday season the Church services are a not-to-be missed experience.  I am sure there are many more.  If you want to consider midnight mass St. Patricks Cathedral, you may have to write in advance for tickets.

1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. St. Bartholomew's Church (attraction)
  3. Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue (attraction)
  4. Trinity Church (attraction)
  5. St. Patricks Cathedral (attraction)

Thuy from San Francisco

One thing you should not miss are the window displays at Saks Fifth Avenue and Bergdorf Goodman.

1. Saks Fifth Avenue (attraction)
  2. Bergdorf Goodman (attraction)