Sunil
Mountain View

Sunil from Mountain View asked

Best speakeasy bars in NYC?

I hear that there are some great speakeasy bars in NYC and I'd love to visit a couple when I'm there. What are some good ones and how would I go about making reservations/getting in? Do I need to know a secret password or handshake? I'm looking for both a unique ambiance and good cocktails. Thanks!

katie from Brooklyn

A couple that haven't been mentioned that are worth looking into are The Tippler in Chelsea Market's basement, Attaboy in the old Milk and Honey space (no menu and very small) and The Back Room for the incredible ambiance and tea cup cocktails. I've also heard wonderful things about Bathtub Gin in Chelsea, but I have not been yet.

The Tippler

Attaboy

Back Room

Bathtub Gin

katie
Adding one more, an old favorite of mine is Pegu Club which has droppers of bitters to customize your cocktail. It's not hidden or secret but very swanky and a good standby.

Sunil
Nice, Katie! I think that my fiance would really like the tea cup cocktails at Back Room. Thanks for the recommendations!

Courtney
Awesome answer, Katie!

Annemarie
Pegu Club is aweeeesssommmeee. Definitely go!

Frances
These sound really cool!

1. The Tippler (attraction)
  2. Attaboy (attraction)
  3. Back Room (attraction)
  4. Bathtub Gin (restaurant)
KT

NYC in the midst of a cocktail renaissance, so you have plenty of options from which to choose. Check out Raines Law Room, The Dead Rabbit,  Death and Company , Bathtub Gin, Milk & Honey (new location on 23rd) in NYC to name just a few. Go early or call ahead. If you head to Williamsburg you'll find even more options.

Theresa
There is also the speakeasy in CrifDogs call PDT (Please Dont Tell).

Nathan
I have heard good things about @The Dead Rabbit and @ Death and Company but haven't been. I know a great speakeasy in Philly if you're going there...

Sunil
That's what I hear about this cocktail craze. Thanks for the recommendations!

1. Raines Law Room (attraction)
  2. The Dead Rabbit (restaurant)
  3. Death and Company (attraction)
  4. Bathtub Gin (restaurant)
  5. Milk & Honey (attraction)
Annemarie from New York City

My favorite has to be Apothéke, which is hidden down a tiny alley in Chinatown and you wouldn't be able to find it unless someone knocked on the door for you and showed you, and Cienfuegos is fantastic because it's above a Cuban restaurant. Enjoy!

Sunil
Thanks Annemarie! Apotheke sounds really cool. This might sound like a silly question, but how do you go about finding/getting into there? Sounds pretty hidden!

Annemarie
Doyers is a u-shaped street and is very short and this bar is literally in the curve of the U. If you go when it's busy, you'll see people popping in and out. Otherwise, look for the sparkly green tiles under the big wooden door. They don't match the other doorways and it's a dead give away. Apothke and dumplings from the hole-in-the-wall next door = perfect night.

1. Apothéke (restaurant)
  2. Cienfuegos (attraction)
Erik from New York City

In addition to KT's fantastic recommendations - a couple additional to consider: Angel's Share which is tucked away on the second floor of a Japanese restaurant in the East Village and Little Branch which is in a nondescript basement in the West Village. Enjoy!

katie
I second Little Branch, they have jazz after 10 pm on weekdays.

Sunil
These both sound great. Thanks, Erik, and thanks for the head's up on the jazz, Katie!

1. Angel's Share (restaurant)
  2. Little Branch (attraction)
Rob from Costa Rica

My favorite is Kirakuya in W32nd Street, it's a tiny bar in the basement and a great place to warm up before you hit the town

Sunil
Cool. Thanks man!

1. Kirakuya (attraction)
Rob from Costa Rica

Do you like Sake?

Hey Rob, community manager here to give you a friendly tip -- in the future, the best place to ask this is by clicking "add comment" right underneath the question. Thanks for helping out a fellow traveler! :)

Sunil
I do like sake! Are there speakeasy bars that serve sake in NYC?