Sunil
Mountain View

Best speakeasy bars in NYC?

I hear that there are some great speakeasy bars in NYC and I'd love to visit a couple when I'm there. What are some good ones and how would I go about making reservations/getting in? Do I need to know a secret password or handshake? I'm looking for both a unique ambiance and good cocktails. Thanks!

katie from Brooklyn

A couple that haven't been mentioned that are worth looking into are The Tippler in Chelsea Market's basement, Attaboy in the old Milk and Honey space (no menu and very small) and The Back Room for the incredible ambiance and tea cup cocktails. I've also heard wonderful things about Bathtub Gin in Chelsea, but I have not been yet.

The Tippler

Attaboy

Back Room

Bathtub Gin

1. The Tippler (attraction)
  2. Attaboy (attraction)
  3. Back Room (attraction)
  4. Bathtub Gin (restaurant)

KT

NYC in the midst of a cocktail renaissance, so you have plenty of options from which to choose. Check out Raines Law Room, The Dead Rabbit,  Death and Company , Bathtub Gin, Milk & Honey (new location on 23rd) in NYC to name just a few. Go early or call ahead. If you head to Williamsburg you'll find even more options.

1. Raines Law Room (attraction)
  2. The Dead Rabbit (restaurant)
  3. Death and Company (attraction)
  4. Bathtub Gin (restaurant)
  5. Milk & Honey (attraction)

Annemarie from New York City

My favorite has to be Apothéke, which is hidden down a tiny alley in Chinatown and you wouldn't be able to find it unless someone knocked on the door for you and showed you, and Cienfuegos is fantastic because it's above a Cuban restaurant. Enjoy!

1. Apothéke (restaurant)
  2. Cienfuegos (attraction)

Erik from New York City

In addition to KT's fantastic recommendations - a couple additional to consider: Angel's Share which is tucked away on the second floor of a Japanese restaurant in the East Village and Little Branch which is in a nondescript basement in the West Village. Enjoy!

1. Angel's Share (restaurant)
  2. Little Branch (attraction)

Rob from Costa Rica

My favorite is Kirakuya in W32nd Street, it's a tiny bar in the basement and a great place to warm up before you hit the town

1. Kirakuya (attraction)

Rob from Costa Rica

Do you like Sake?

Mobile