Elspeth Gaines

Elspeth from Sheffield asked March 05, 2015

New York City: Best restaurants in New York for a nice dinner?

Traveling to NYC with my 3 adult children to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday. We all love good food. We are prepared to be indulgent price wise. Kids have never been to NYC before. We are considering River Cafe. Do you have other suggestions please?

• Mariana Rodriguez

Mariana R. from New York City answered

The River Café has beautiful views but I wouldn't recommend the food there.

For indulgent meals how about one of these: Gramercy Tavern (in the dining room), BLUE HILL, Eleven Madison Park Restaurant, Marea, Union Square Cafe-all have excellent food and service.

• Laura Quinalty

Top Answer by Laura Q. from Atlanta

My two favorite NYC restaurants are:

JoJo, a Jean-Georges small, quaint, fabulous place, and Lupa, a Mario Batali place just north of SoHo. Also, Norma's at Le Parker Meridian Hotel is excellent for breakfast.

• AJ J

AJ J. from United States answered

I know this is likely not the direction you're looking for, but just in case you're interested in a celebratory meal that isn't old school fine dining, I'd suggest:

atera - This recommendation will only be good through March 28th, as the chef Matt Lightner is leaving. Definitely avant-gardeist cuisine in an intimate setting

Cosme- From Enrico Olvera of Mexico City. If you know anything about NYC's nordic obsession, come here to see what it will obsess over next

Blanca - This will be a Brooklyn experience to the core. The antithesis of Eleven Madison Park, but no less New York. If you choose to go here, just get a reservation and try to read as little about it as possible. You'll only enjoy it that much more.

Semilla - Vegetable driven, intimate and with a unique voice. This is a significantly less pricy option than the three above, but you'll get to see cuisine being pushed forward by two talented chefs.

Contra - My personal favorite spot, as they are doing food that is truly unique in the city. Even though they've had plenty of great press, they're scrappy guys trying to shake things up in the scene. Likely the most affordable choice on this list, yet their offerings are definitely world-class.

• Jacey & Scott Mahaffy

Trippy Ambassadors are elite members of the community, hand picked to help you travel better!

Jacey & Scott M. from Fort Collins answered

My husband and I had an amazing meal at Le Bernardin a year or so again. The service was spectacular, the wine selections were unique and expertly explained (both about the wine and why they chose it) and the food experience was one of my favorites. Chef Ripert is deserving of all his accolades.

• Fritzi Lareau

Fritzi L. from San Francisco answered

For an indulgent NYC dinner, I would consider The Four Seasons. If somebody offered to take me to an expensive dinner in NYC, I would ask for The Palm Restaurant, or Peter Luger Steak House, a hundred + year old steak house. My most indulgent meal ever was lobster fra daviolo in Little Italy. I'm not into trendy, I prefer tried and true.

• Nars Krishnamachari

Nars K. from Boston answered

• Michelle Dunner

Michelle D. from Melbourne answered

You're in the right city to indulge. There are loads of great restaurants in NYC, some of which can be pretty hard to get into, but here's my list. Feel free to check out my blog http://thefoodieworld.com if you'd like to read more about dining at some of these. Eleven Madison Park Restaurant is an extraordinary experience with a 15-course tasting menu. If you can get a table, I'd recommend you go early in the evening. It has a sister restaurant called The NoMad Restaurant - this is an a la carte menu in a beautiful room and the food is sensational. Another one I loved was Betony in midtown. This is a restaurant from some ex-Eleven Madison Park team members.

Some other greats: Per Se has a lovely view over Columbus Circle looking towards Central Park. Daniel is again a beautiful room, with fine French food. Le Bernardin is a bit of an institution in NYC, although I didn't enjoy it as much as the others.

There are so many options in NYC. This is just a selection of restaurants I've been to. They'd all be great venues for a wonderful 60th birthday celebration and the food standard is exciting at all of them.

• Annette Vazquez

Annette V. from New Jersey answered

I suggest The Smith -956 Second Avenue NYC
    (at the corner of 51st). Great food and cafe atmosphere.