Elspeth
Sheffield

Elspeth from Sheffield asked

Best restaurants in New York for a nice dinner?

Traveling to NYC with my 3 adult children to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday. We all love good food. We are prepared to be indulgent price wise. Kids have never been to NYC before. We are considering River Cafe. Do you have other suggestions please?

Laura from Atlanta

My two favorite NYC restaurants are:

JoJo, a Jean-Georges small, quaint, fabulous place, and Lupa, a Mario Batali place just north of SoHo. Also, Norma's at Le Parker Meridian Hotel is excellent for breakfast.

1. JoJo (restaurant)
  2. Lupa (restaurant)
  3. Norma's (restaurant)
AJ from United States

I know this is likely not the direction you're looking for, but just in case you're interested in a celebratory meal that isn't old school fine dining, I'd suggest:

atera - This recommendation will only be good through March 28th, as the chef Matt Lightner is leaving.  Definitely avant-gardeist cuisine in an intimate setting

Cosme- From Enrico Olvera of Mexico City.  If you know anything about NYC's nordic obsession, come here to see what it will obsess over next

Blanca - This will be a Brooklyn experience to the core.  The antithesis of Eleven Madison Park, but no less New York.  If you choose to go here, just get a reservation and try to read as little about it as possible.  You'll only enjoy it that much more.

Semilla - Vegetable driven, intimate and with a unique voice.  This is a significantly less pricy option than the three above, but you'll get to see cuisine being pushed forward by two talented chefs.

Contra - My personal favorite spot, as they are doing food that is truly unique in the city.  Even though they've had plenty of great press, they're scrappy guys trying to shake things up in the scene.  Likely the most affordable choice on this list, yet their offerings are definitely world-class.

1. atera (restaurant)
  2. Cosme (restaurant)
  3. Blanca (restaurant)
  4. Semilla (restaurant)
  5. Contra (restaurant)
Mariana from New York City

The River Café has beautiful views but I wouldn't recommend the food there. 

For indulgent meals how about one of these: Gramercy Tavern (in the dining room), BLUE HILL, Eleven Madison Park Restaurant, Marea, Union Square Cafe-all have excellent food and service.

Elspeth
That was my worry about River Cafe. I love the thought of the view but I don't want to pay for that instead of the food!!

1. The River Café (restaurant)
  2. Gramercy Tavern (restaurant)
  3. BLUE HILL (restaurant)
  4. Eleven Madison Park Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. Marea (restaurant)
  6. Union Square Cafe (restaurant)
Fritzi from San Francisco

For an indulgent NYC dinner, I would consider The Four Seasons. If somebody offered to take me to an expensive dinner in NYC, I would ask for The Palm Restaurant, or Peter Luger Steak House,  a hundred + year old steak house.  My most indulgent meal ever was lobster fra daviolo in Little Italy.  I'm not into trendy, I prefer tried and true. 

1. The Four Seasons (restaurant)
  2. The Palm Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Peter Luger Steak House (restaurant)
  4. Little Italy (attraction)
Nars from Boston

1. Per Se (restaurant)
  2. Daniel (restaurant)
  3. Le Bernardin (restaurant)
  4. Club A (restaurant)
  5. Keens Steakhouse (restaurant)
  6. Gramercy Tavern (restaurant)
  7. Gotham Bar & Grill (restaurant)
  8. Eleven Madison Park Restaurant (restaurant)
  9. Del Posto (restaurant)
  10. Scalini Fedeli (restaurant)
  11. Marea (restaurant)
Michelle from Melbourne

You're in the right city to indulge. There are loads of great restaurants in NYC, some of which can be pretty hard to get into, but here's my list. Feel free to check out my blog http://thefoodieworld.com if you'd like to read more about dining at some of these. Eleven Madison Park Restaurant is an extraordinary experience with a 15-course tasting menu. If you can get a table, I'd recommend you go early in the evening. It has a sister restaurant called The NoMad Restaurant - this is an a la carte menu in a beautiful room and the food is sensational. Another one I loved was Betony in midtown. This is a restaurant from some ex-Eleven Madison Park team members.

Some other greats: Per Se has a lovely view over Columbus Circle looking towards Central Park. Daniel is again a beautiful room, with fine French food. Le Bernardin is a bit of an institution in NYC, although I didn't enjoy it as much as the others.

There are so many options in NYC. This is just a selection of restaurants I've been to. They'd all be great venues for a wonderful 60th birthday celebration and the food standard is exciting at all of them.

Elspeth
Thanks Michelle, the problem for a visitor is having sooomuch choice & wanting to get it right! Would you rate the River Cafe or is that more about the view?

Michelle
My pleasure Elspeth. The River Cafe is in Brooklyn (as you'd know) so the view back over the Manhattan skyline is absolutely amazing. I've never eaten there but the NY Times food critic gave it 4 stars when he ate there last year.

1. Eleven Madison Park Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. The NoMad Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Betony (restaurant)
  4. Per Se (restaurant)
  5. Daniel (restaurant)
  6. Le Bernardin (restaurant)
Annette from New Jersey

I suggest The Smith -956 Second Avenue NYC
(at the corner of 51st). Great food and cafe atmosphere.

1. The Smith (restaurant)