Mari

Best restaurant in Chinatown?

Looking for a casual restaurant in Chinatown, what are the best? Budget- $$

Grace from New York City

Shanghai Cafe Deluxe is the best for soup dumplings and standard entrees (Cash Only) and I have heard great things about Wo Hop. Nothing compares to Hong Kong Lounge in SF, but my favorite places to get Dim Sum in NYC are Nom Wah Tea Parlor and Dim Sum Go Go. Also, make sure you visit The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory for interesting flavors and a sweet treat! Everyone is focusing on Chinese cuisine, but Pulqueria has delicious tacos and Apothéke is next door for fancy, but delicious cocktails!

1. Shanghai Cafe Deluxe (restaurant)
  2. Wo Hop (restaurant)
  3. Hong Kong Lounge (attraction)
  4. Nom Wah Tea Parlor (restaurant)
  5. Dim Sum Go Go (restaurant)
  6. The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (restaurant)
  7. Pulqueria (restaurant)
  8. Apothéke (restaurant)

Colleen from Brooklyn

If you're looking for Chinese food, you should check out Nom Wah Tea Parlor, Vanessa's Dumpling House for dumplings and scallion pancakes and Joe's Ginger for soup dumplings. For upscale Chinese, Fung Tu is totally worth the splurge (though it's actually quite reasonable).  It was opened by someone from Nom Wah Tea Parlor and a former chef from the Michelin-starred Per Se and serves creative takes on Chinese dishes (think pork belly egg rolls wrapped in a scallion omelet or dan dan lamb spaetzle). There's also the super hip and sceney Mission Chinese Food. It's different and more ambitious than the San Francisco original and is definitely the hottest table in that neighborhood these days.

1. Nom Wah Tea Parlor (restaurant)
  2. Vanessa's Dumpling House (restaurant)
  3. Joe's Ginger (restaurant)
  4. Fung Tu (restaurant)
  5. Mission Chinese Food (restaurant)

Cheryl from Edina, Minnesota

When I lived in that area years ago, my favorites were: 

- Pongsri Thai Restaurant(corner of Bayard and Baxter) 

- Pho Bang (Mott between Grand & Broome) 

Both are pretty cheap. 

1. Pongsri Thai Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Pho Bang (restaurant)

Mark from New York State

Golden Unicorn for non rushed sit down, Wo Hop (downstairs...you will see when you are there) for great late night Chinese Food experience!

1. Golden Unicorn (restaurant)
  2. Wo Hop (restaurant)

Jason from Tigard

Anyone who knows NYC, KNOWS that Wo Hop at 17 Mott Street is the best!  Make sure to go downstairs, as that is the better of the two restaurants at the same address.  Here is their website:  http://wohopnyc.com/  and the many, many reviews (URBANSPOON: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/3/43117/restaurant/Chinatown/Wo-Hop-NYC) will assure you of what I say here.  BTW:  I used to live in NYC and would go here when working nearby.

1. Wo Hop (restaurant)

Lynne from New York City

I love Great NY Noodletown. The food is served piping hot. Try the salt baked shrimp, baby bok choy and the lo mein. Also, anything that's barbequed. It's never disappointed me or any other member of my family!

1. Great NY Noodletown (restaurant)

Nars from Boston

1. Joe's Shanghai (restaurant)
  2. Tasty Hand-Pulled Noodles (restaurant)
  3. Buddha Bodai (restaurant)

Raisa

Xi'an Famous Foods and The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. They are both right next to each other. But if you really want the most legit Chinese food you can have, I'd say go to Flushing - Main St And you'd be transported to a different world.

1. Xi'an Famous Foods (restaurant)
  2. The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (restaurant)
  3. Flushing - Main St (attraction)

Liza from New York City

Hope you find this helpful!

1. Prosperity Dumpling (restaurant)
  2. Shanghai Cafe Deluxe (restaurant)
  3. Mission Chinese Food (restaurant)
  4. Nom Wah Tea Parlor (restaurant)

Andy from San Francisco

One of my favorite places to go in Chinatown is Xi'an Famous Foods . I highly recommend the lamb burger, and the Chang An tofu. Those are my regular dishes when I go there. All the noodles are handmade and quite tasty as well. 

1. Xi'an Famous Foods (restaurant)

Bonnie from United States

Shanghai Gourmet Inc has the best soup dumplings! Nom Wah Tea Parlor has a little bit of everything. Tasty Hand-Pulled Noodles has the best noodles I've ever had! Also, The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory has really interesting ice cream flavors. 

1. Shanghai Gourmet Inc (restaurant)
  2. Nom Wah Tea Parlor (restaurant)
  3. Tasty Hand-Pulled Noodles (restaurant)
  4. The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (restaurant)

Philip from New York City

Joe's Shanghai is a good bet. For a quick bahn mi, Bánh Mì Saigon on Grand is great and cheap.

1. Joe's Shanghai (restaurant)
  2. Bánh Mì Saigon (restaurant)