Kyla
Canyon, Texas

New York City, Niagara Falls

Best places to go on honeymoon, non tourist places, hidden finds!

Hello,

My fiancé and I are thinking about going to New York City or Niagara Falls for our honeymoon at the end of September 2015 for about 4-5 nights. Would love to have ideas on neat places to go and experience. I have never planned a trip so any information would be wonderful! Would love non tourist places! Our style is laid back and would love bike rides, go out on a sail boat...stroll around park.

Kathy from New York City

I would have to recommend the Emerson Hotel Restaurant & Bar. It's only a few hours away, between the Catskill, Hudson Valley and Woodstock (New York), but it is a gorgeous hotel-Inn.   I stayed there for a weekend over the summer on a media trip, and loved the comfortable luxury and charm of the hotel.  There are beautiful places to hike or drive around, and some amazing foodie-delight restaurants nearby. I wrote this blog post about the weekend: 

http://willrunformiles.boardingarea.com/beautiful-emerson-resort-spa/#sthash.A6O758qH.dpbs

1. Emerson Hotel Restaurant & Bar (restaurant)
  2. Catskill (city)
  3. Hudson Valley (attraction)
  4. Woodstock (New York) (city)

Nars from Boston

Congratulations Kyla. If you are considering New York, here are some thoughts:

- Walk, jog, bike, boat and horse carriage ride Central Park (I love to stay around the park)
- Window shopping on the 5th Ave
- Walk the High Line Park
- Watch a broadway (or off-broadway) show
- Empire State Building Observation Deck(get express tickets) - if this is your first trip
- Drinks and Jazz at the Village Vanguard
- Brunch at Balthazar

You may find some options in this romantic NYC trip idea.
http://www.ruebarue.com/new-york/ideas/a-weekend-to-celebrate-romance-in-nyc/5700239927279616

1. Central Park (attraction)
  2. 5th Ave (attraction)
  3. High Line Park (attraction)
  4. Empire State Building Observation Deck (attraction)
  5. Village Vanguard (attraction)
  6. Balthazar (restaurant)

Paul from Toronto

Only tourist status for NYC. If you are considering Niagara Falls, I suggest you check out Niagara-on-the-Lake. Popular summer destination (quieter after labor day) for B&B to luxury accommondations, live theatre, casual to fine dining, window shopping etc. Gorgeous port town with access to sailing, quiet parks and bike riding. Off the beaten path but less than 30 minutes from Niagara Falls.

1. Niagara Falls (attraction)
  2. Niagara-on-the-Lake (city)

Cassandra from Long Island (New York)

HI Kyla, Congratulations! Just an idea: just 1.5 hours East of NYC is the North Fork of Long Island.  There are many beautiful vineyards, B & B's, beaches, places to sail, great restaurants.  September is quite crowed because of the harvest but it is a very underrated part of NY!

Otherwise less crowed and still in the heart of the Metro area is Prospect Park in Brooklyn--maybe staying in Carroll Gardens or Park Slope could give you the experience of NYC without being right in the center and still close to the park.  http://www.prospectpark.org.  You could even take stroll down to DUMBO for views of the city and to walk the Brooklyn Bridge.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

1. North Fork (attraction)
  2. Prospect Park (attraction)
  3. Carroll Gardens (neighborhood)
  4. Park Slope (attraction)
  5. DUMBO (attraction)
  6. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)