Jessica asked

Best areas to stay (other than Manhattan) in NYC close to subway?

Hey Fellow travelers!

I want to take my family to NYC but not looking to stay in Manhattan to save some money. I'm looking for a decent hotel in a safe area that is close to a subway station. Brooklyn? Queens? I just want us to be super close to a subway or train. Any ideas??

Jessica :)

David from New Orleans, Louisiana

Maspeth Avenue, New York. Queens. Working class neighborhood. Suggest using the LIRR

1. Maspeth Avenue (attraction)
Michael from New York City

You might also check Hobokenon the NJ side of the river.  The Port Authority Trans Hudson(PATH) train runs 24 hours between Hoboken and Manhattan. The train's northern most stop is 33rd street around Macy'sso you are only about a 10 block walk to Times Square.  Also, the PATH train has stops further downtown as well.   There are not that many hotels in Hoboken, but you might also give Airbnb. The W Hobokenis a nice hotel, but I don't think it is exactly cheap.

1. Hoboken (city)
  2. Port Authority Trans Hudson (attraction)
  3. Macy's (attraction)
  4. Times Square (attraction)
  5. W Hoboken (hotel)
Bryan from Richmond Hill

Have you tried Air BnB? We've used them and they're great, just had a great little apartment in Dublin. We've haven't used them in NYC yet, but we have looked to see what's available, and there's a lot.

Jessica
My cousin suggested Air BB too but seems weird to stay in someone else's house, haha. I'll look into it though. We have a toddler so it'll be nice to have a kitchen.

Bryan
Air BnB has some folks who have rental properties. That's actually what we've had so far. So that's not quite as weird :)

Bart from Geel

There is a very nice hostel in Queens (The Local NYC) where U always stay. It's not so expensive, new an d close to metrostation. In Manhattan in 20 minutes. Bart - Belgium

1. Queens (attraction)
  2. The Local NYC (hotel)
Raman from New York City

Long Island City in queens or DUMBO in bkny

1. Long Island City (neighborhood)
  2. DUMBO (attraction)
chris from New York City

The Nu Hotel on Atlantic in Brooklyn is nice and near trains but it's upwards of $300 a night.  Near 3rd and 4th aves in Brooklyn near by, you have Super 8 Brooklyn / Park Slope Hotel at 267 3rd Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215.  $187 a night.  Within a few blocks of that there are several other options for a little less or more ranging from $145-$210.  Look up that Super 8 on google map and then you'll see the others if you search hotels or lodging.  1 block from train too.