Dr
Durham (North Carolina)

Best Tasting Menu in Manhattan

What restaurant offers the best tasting menu in Manhattan?  I'm visiting for my 30th birthday and want to experience an exquisite meal. 

I'm very curious about molecular gastronomy and would love to try a more avante garde menu.  I have no food restrictions, but would like to keep the per-person food, wine, and service total under $250.

Thanks for the insights!

Michelle from Melbourne

If you can look to increase your budget, I'd always recommend Eleven Madison Park Restaurant. The tasting menu there is $225 - so of course, with wine on top it would be a bit over your price range. It's the experience of a lifetime though, in my humble opinion. If you want a great place, from the same team, try The NoMad Restaurant - the roast chicken there is to die for! Also, ex team members from Eleven Madison Park are now at Betony which was so good, I went twice on my last NYC visit.

1. Eleven Madison Park Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. The NoMad Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Betony (restaurant)

Ashley from New York City

atera in Tribeca is a bit less known but one of the most memorable meals:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/dining/reviews/atera-in-tribeca.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

A few others to check out:

Brooklyn Fare

Le Bernardin

1. atera (restaurant)
  2. Brooklyn Fare (attraction)
  3. Le Bernardin (restaurant)

Melissa from Massachusetts

If you like seafood, you can't go wrong with Le Bernardin.  There are three different tasting menu options, but honestly every bite of food I had there was superb - so you can go with the least expensive and not worry that you're missing out on anything:

Prix-fixe four-course dinner: $135 

Tasting Menu 1: the "Le Bernardin" Tasting Menu - $155 per person – $246 with wine pairing per person

Tasting Menu 2: the "Chef's Tasting" - $198 per person – $336 with wine pairing per person

If you're more of a pasta person, the pasta tasting menu at Babbo is also a great value, in my opinion - five courses of pasta, and two desserts:  $85 per person * (Accompanying wines $75 per person as listed in menu, “The Riserva Selection” of wines $115 per person)  *Our Pasta Tasting requires the participation of the entire table.

They also offer a more traditional (i.e. not just pasta) 7-course tasting menu: $99 per person * (Accompanying Wines $75 per person, as listed in menu, “The Riserva Selection” of wines $115 per person) *Our Traditional Tasting requires the participation of the entire table.

1. Le Bernardin (restaurant)
  2. Babbo (restaurant)

Doon from North Sydney

Try dirtcandy.  It is all very unusual vegetable dishes that taste amazing.  A very unique place.

1. dirtcandy (restaurant)