Bernardo

A week in NYC

I am 41 and am travelling with my brother (35) for the Toy Fair on February. We will have a couple days off and want to go to cool places in NYC. Which nightclubs do you recommend? And which Dinner places in Meatpacking District or any other district? We have visited NYC in the past so we are not that interested in traditional tourist spots.

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello Bernardo,

New York City is huge and always has new things to offer visitors, I go every year and never get bored.

Not far from the Meatpacking District are Chelsea Market and the High Line Park. Both may lean toward the touristy side but are well worth a visit if you have never been. Chelsea Market is full of small business vendors selling things such as local beers and distilled spirits, vintage clothing, and unique gourmet food items. The High Line is a park built on an abandoned elevated train line. It is beautifully designed and offers unique views of the city. If you enjoy modern art you can also go to the nearby David Zwirner Gallery.

Branching out from there near Washington Square Park there is the IFC cinema which shows foreign, independent, and other art house type films. In the park itself is an awesome food vendor selling South Indian dosas which make a delicious lunch.

In lower Manhattan there is an amazing cocktail bar called The Dead Rabbit. I loved my experience there.

I honestly don't know a lot about the dining options in the Meatpacking District, but there is a little place I recently went to in the East Village(not so far away) called Luke's Lobster. It is a casual counter service place serving New England style lobster rolls and also has a good happy hour. If you want dessert after that, try Insomnia Cookies around the corner- hot from the oven.

I'm sorry I'm not much help with the night club part. Perhaps try searching on metromix.com .

Good luck and happy travels!

Crystal

1. New York City (city)
  2. Chelsea Market (attraction)
  3. High Line Park (attraction)
  4. David Zwirner Gallery (attraction)
  5. Washington Square Park (attraction)
  6. The Dead Rabbit (restaurant)
  7. East Village (neighborhood)

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello Bernardo,

I honestly don't know a lot about the dining options in the Meatpacking District, but there is a little place I recently went to in the East Village(not so far away) called Luke's Lobster. It is a casual counter service place serving New England style lobster rolls and also has a good happy hour.

Good luck and happy travels!

Crystal

1. New York City (city)
  2. Chelsea Market (attraction)
  3. High Line Park (attraction)
  4. David Zwirner Gallery (attraction)
  5. Washington Square Park (attraction)
  6. The Dead Rabbit (restaurant)
  7. East Village (neighborhood)

Joe from Litchfield (Connecticut)

If your a fan of BBQ, most definitely take the "L" train to Bedford Avenue and check out Fette Sau. AMAZING food and awesome atmosphere. Also Chelsea Market is a cool place to see quick and catch a bite to eat. Comedy Cellar is always a great time.

1. Fette Sau (restaurant)
  2. Chelsea Market (attraction)
  3. Comedy Cellar (attraction)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

If you have theater tickets and need a place to eat in the Times Square area, we had a good meal around Christmastime at Osteria al Doge -- not one of the crowded tourist traps in that neighborhood.

1. Osteria al Doge (restaurant)

Scott from San Francisco

Some culinary spots in NYC:

Minetta Tavern - Good luck getting in, but the black label burger is something to remember.  

Balthazar Restaurant - an older place but still excellent, and has great hours too, open late. 

Mission Chinese Food - too cool for school, but the food is great

Doughnut Plant - awesome donuts, hipster atmosphere 

EssaBagel-  The definition of un-cool, but so aggressively un-cool, it's cool.  Best bagel and nova on the planet.  Tip, order open faced and get an Everything Bagel (not toasted of course) if you can handle it.  It'll be pricey but worth it.

I know it's considered "cool" but Black Seed Bagel is to be avoided.  It's awful.   

1. Minetta Tavern (restaurant)
  2. Balthazar Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Mission Chinese Food (restaurant)
  4. Doughnut Plant (restaurant)
  5. EssaBagel (restaurant)

Scott from San Francisco

Some culinary spots in NYC:

EssaBagel -  The definition of un-cool, but so aggressively un-cool, it's cool.  Best bagel and nova on the planet.  Tip, order open faced and get an Everything Bagel (not toasted of course) if you can handle it.  It'll be pricey but worth it.

1. Minetta Tavern (restaurant)
  2. Balthazar Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Mission Chinese Food (restaurant)
  4. Doughnut Plant (restaurant)
  5. EssaBagel (restaurant)

Scott from San Francisco

Some culinary spots in NYC:

1. Minetta Tavern (restaurant)
  2. Balthazar Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Mission Chinese Food (restaurant)
  4. Doughnut Plant (restaurant)
  5. EssaBagel (restaurant)

Sally from Paris, France

If you like musical you should read this article about a show at soho play house :) 

Laurent from Brussels, Belgium

Hi,  If you like good food, there is a place i like to eat T-bone steak.  The Gallagher restaurant; near Times Square.  Other very quiet place to rest for a while is to go to the The Plaza; very nice (Central Park).  For a quick meat; the Friday on the 5th Ave.

For shopping;  Century 21 on 21st Str., near Ground zero.

Go to Statue of Liberty, quiet interesting.

A very interesting place to visit is the The Frick Collection. That is a squared house with an atrium and around statue, paints and so on.

For breakfast, go try Le Pain Quotidien. Several in Manhattan.

I hope to help you a little bit and wish you a very good trip to NYC.

1. Times Square (attraction)
  2. The Plaza (hotel)
  3. Central Park (attraction)
  4. Statue of Liberty (attraction)
  5. The Frick Collection (attraction)
  6. Le Pain Quotidien (restaurant)