sandra

New Orleans

New Orleans and kids

Taking my 3 kids to New Orleans and wondering on tips, place to go kids friendly music clubs or really any advice or tips on NOLA with kids.

John from Chicago
I remember New Orleans was the first place I ever tried alligator meat as a kid. I'm sure the kids would enjoy beignets at Café du Monde. Also maybe look for a place with Bananas Fosters. Get some crawfish and gumbo for the kids too.
Ride the streetcar trolleys as Rosalie mentioned, that's fun to do. You could go see real gators on a swamp tour. Check out jazz at Preservation Hall which should be all ages.
Go to City Park and check out StoryLand. There is also the Louisiana Children's Museum.
If you happen to be driving to New Orleans, I remember being amazed as a kid by the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, the longest continuous bridge over water in the world.

1. Café du Monde (restaurant)
  2. Preservation Hall (attraction)
  3. City Park (attraction)
  4. StoryLand (attraction)
  5. Louisiana Children's Museum (attraction)
  6. Lake Pontchartrain Causeway (attraction)

I went to NOLA when I was 12 and my sister was 10 (in 1950).  My father was attending a conference.   Things have changed a bit since then of course.  I remember taking a carriage ride and going to Antoines and the Three Sister's restaurants.  More recently when I went I found that NOLA has a nice zoo and an aquarium.  We also rode the trolleys all around town.  There is a great WWII museum.  And we took the paddlewheel steamer down to Chalmette where the ranger gives a great talk about the Battle of New Orleans (he doesn't sing the song, but there's a good song to go with it).  We were there in December so there were concerts in the cathedral.  We went to the markets and saw Joanie on a Pony and ate beignets.  

Meredith from New Orleans
There is a Dave & Buster's in the heart of the Central Business District. There is a great Louisiana Children's Museum within walking distance of the French Quarter and the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas and Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium on the edge of the FQ.
I do not recommend taking children to Bourbon Street...at all. However, there are some cool historical things to do in the French Quarter. Make sure you bring comfy shoes that cover the feet. The FQ can have some pretty mucky areas and nobody want to step in this FQ muck! Have a great time, Sandra!