New Orleans

What is your favorite restaurant in New Orleans?

Heading to New Orleans and I'm looking for the best restaurants to try while I'm visiting. Open to all types of food! What are your top places to eat?

Thomas from Saint Paul (Minnesota)

Get you a po'boy at Parkway Bakery & Tavern

Get fancy at Antoine's Restaurant

And get your snacks and drinks at Capdeville

1. Parkway Bakery & Tavern (restaurant)
  2. Antoine's Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Capdeville (restaurant)

Adaixa from Vega Baja

My favorite restaurant in New Orleans, right now, is Cochon Restaurant.  I recommend the oysters, the rabbit and the pork daube.  They have their smoker, you can see the kitchen action, the ambient is great.  Good looking place.  Delicious!

1. Cochon Restaurant (restaurant)

Shannon from New Orleans

Get off the beaten path and head to BywaterSugar Park, Suis Generis and The Joint.

1. Bywater (attraction)
  2. Sugar Park (restaurant)
  3. Suis Generis (restaurant)
  4. The Joint (restaurant)

Regan from Brooklyn

There is SO MUCH to eat in New Orleans, so it depends on what you're looking for.  Bacchanal Wine is one of my favorites--ridiculous, elegant food served at a walk-up window (weird, I know, but it works) served in the backyard of an old house in Bywater with a big jazz band playing.  Very hip place.  Three Muses is also fantastic on Frenchman street by all the live music venues--reservation definitely needed.  Galatoire's if you're in the mood for a classic New Orleans creole experience, but the French Quarter can be a bit Times Square-ish.  Pizza Delicious in Bywater (can you tell I love that hood?) if you feel like tasty pizza or a casual but fun dinner.  We also had a really tasty and inexpensive Vietnamese dinner in the back of a hip Bywater bar called Lost Love Lounge.  My AirBnB was right by the new St Roch Market which is a bunch of different food stalls--korean, oysters, champagne, etc--and a big, mixed seating area.  We went one night for some oysters and wine before heading out for the night.  

Best coffee is Coast Roast inside the St. Roch Market--they open at 7am--or Spitfire Coffee in the French Quarter.  Commander's Palace Restaurant can be fun for the 25 cent martinis at lunch.  And I had breakfast several delicious times at Cake Cafe & Bakery.  Their biscuits and gravy (a veggie version, too) and shrimp and grits were sinful.   But Toast was a very, very close second for best breakfast if you're uptown. And I second Parkway Bakery & Tavern for their po boys and Avery's On Tulane was a lucky find in that barren neighborhood--great oysters rockefeller po boy.  So jealous you're going.  Take me with youuuuuu!!!!

1. Bacchanal Wine (attraction)
  2. Three Muses (restaurant)
  3. Galatoire's (restaurant)
  4. Pizza Delicious (restaurant)
  5. Lost Love Lounge (attraction)
  6. St Roch Market (attraction)
  7. Spitfire Coffee (restaurant)
  8. Commander's Palace Restaurant (restaurant)
  9. Cake Cafe & Bakery (restaurant)
  10. Toast (restaurant)
  11. Parkway Bakery & Tavern (restaurant)
  12. Avery's On Tulane (restaurant)

Margaret from New Orleans

Commander's Palace Restaurant in the Garden District - go for lunch on a week day. Good 25 cent martinis! It's a very nice restaurant - don't go in shorts and flip flops. 

1. Commander's Palace Restaurant (restaurant)

Jack

Hiya Katie,

There are hundreds of restaurants in and around the French Quarter, you really can't go wrong on most any.  My favorite is Muriel's Jackson Squareon Jackson Square, the food and service are top notch, if you venture upstairs there is a large balcony overlooking the square, and in the back upstairs there are some very unusual rooms worth a walk through.  Muriel's has a great little bar with classic and specialty cocktails as well as a full menu of authentic New Orleans creole cuisine.  Enjoy our little city!!!

1. French Quarter (restaurant)
  2. Muriel's Jackson Square (restaurant)

Catherine from Santa Fe

We were there a few weeks ago and enjoyed Commander's Palace Restaurant for that classic dining experience, then for contemporary, we LOVED SoBou and GW Fins. For fresh oysters there's none better than Acme Oyster HouseTujague's is a classic and definitely worth your time....try their Bloody Mary's to start! Wherever you go, go with a relaxed attitude ready for fun!

2. Acme Oyster House (restaurant)
  3. Tujague's (restaurant)