Kim
Tampa

New Orleans

Top restaurants and can't miss attractions during the day

My sister and I will be in New Orleans for my 30th birthday in January. What are some places to see during the day? Like "can't miss, have to see" type places. Favorite restaurants and shops? We will be there around 4 days, staying on Canal street. Thanks for any suggestions!

Rosemarie from San Jose, California

When you are in New Orleans, make sure to have brunch at the Commander's Palace. With live Jazz and scrumptious foods, it's a great way to ring in the 30s. Remember to make reservations too!

1. New Orleans (city)
  2. Commander's Palace (attraction)

Alex from Houston

Hey Kim,

I lived right in the heart of New Orleans for 2 years. Canal is a great place to stay. You have a few options during the day, but I love wandering around The French Quarter going down Royal St and checking out the different shops (antique, local arts, and good street performers). 

Restaurants:

Jacques-Imo's (My favorite place. This is uptown and they dont take reservations. Expect a minimum of an hour wait. Its on Oak Street so grab a drink and just hang outside)

Mr B's Bistro- Great cajun style food in The French Quarter

Cochon Restaurant- Awesome place in the Warehouse District

This may be cajun overload so if you want a break from Cajun, check out GW Fins. This is an awesome award winning fish place.

Music Scene- Go to Frenchmen Street!

1. The French Quarter (neighborhood)
  2. Royal St (attraction)
  3. Jacques-Imo's (restaurant)
  4. Mr B's Bistro (restaurant)
  5. Cochon Restaurant (restaurant)
  6. GW Fins (restaurant)
  7. Frenchmen Street (attraction)

Emma from New Orleans

Absolutely take a walk down Bourbon Street. There are great bars and restaurants all over the French Quarter. If you just keep shopping down the street, which there are great shops everywhere, you'll eventually run into the French Market Pl. It's a great experience- definitely not something to miss out on. Plus, the river runs parallel to the market, so you can enjoy a great view while shopping, too!

1. French Quarter (restaurant)
  2. French Market Pl (attraction)
  3. Bourbon Street (attraction)

Jeremi from Lafayette

My favorite places to eat in New Orleans are Café du Monde and Oceana Grill.  As for things to do, in addition to what has already been mentioned, you can check out the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas and the The National WWII Museum.

1. Café du Monde (restaurant)
  2. Oceana Grill (restaurant)
  3. Audubon Aquarium of the Americas (attraction)
  4. The National WWII Museum (attraction)

Melissa from Chicago

Taking a bike tour is a great way to see New Orleans and gets you into the other neighborhoods you normally wouldn't visit. I have used the Confederacy of Cruisers Bike Tours and Ninth Ward Rebirth Bike Tours before and they were great. The shops on Canal St can keep you occupied for awhile. For food, Stanley, Magnolia Grill, and Coop's Place are some good choices. Have fun...New Orleans is one of my favorite places in the world!

1. Confederacy of Cruisers Bike Tours (attraction)
  2. Ninth Ward Rebirth Bike Tours (attraction)
  3. Canal St (attraction)
  4. Stanley (restaurant)
  5. Magnolia Grill (restaurant)
  6. Coop's Place (restaurant)

Diana from Cinnaminson, New Jersey

I have tons of restaurant reccomendations and reviews in my NOLA post http://coffeechalk.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/nola-trip/

I highly recc. The Ruby Slipper for breakfast and Commander's Palace Restaurant for the tasting menu (and 25 cent martini's!!)

1. The Ruby Slipper (restaurant)
  2. Commander's Palace Restaurant (restaurant)