Hannah
West Hartford, Connecticut

New Orleans

Is it hard to get a seat at Cafe du Monde?

People keep telling me that I have to visit this world famous restaurant for beignets and coffee!  Since it's so popular, would it be hard to get a seat?  Should/can I make reservations?  Also, is it kid-friendly?

Avery from Berkeley

I once went there with my husband and kids on a Friday afternoon.  It was busy!  Since we're a party of five, we couldn't be seated right away, but the wait was very quick.  It doesn't look like people dine there for long; most just finish their coffee and beignets and leave, so very quick turn around.  

As for kids, it's totally fine.  We brought our three munchkins there (between the ages of 7 and 12) and it was no problem.  In fact, the super sweet waitress doted on them.

I take it that you're referring to the Café du Monde on Decatur that's located in the French Quarter (they have eight locations total, so make sure you get directions to the right one!!).  You can't make reservations at Cafe du Monde, but if there's a wait, it's never really long (it's just coffees and beignets, after all!). 

I walked by them many times during my stay in New Orleans and you can think of them as having a similar traffic flow as a 24 hour gym: busy in the mornings, lunch time, and dinner times, but not so busy very early morning, mid-afternoon, and later in the evening and late night (they're open 24/7 if you didn't already know). 

I went there at 9 PM on a Saturday and not only was there no wait, but it was practically empty and a lot of the wait staff just spent most of the time on their smartphones :P

As for kids, this cafe is super casual, so kids would totally be fine here and they'll probably enjoy the beignets with a mound of powdered sugar on them!

While we're on the subject of Cafe du Monde, another really good one is Morning Call if you find yourself in City Park.  Near identical set up to Cafe du Monde and actually a very similar history, just that the name is not as well known.  I witnessed first hand that they're VERY kid friendly.

1. Café du Monde (restaurant)
  2. Morning Call (restaurant)

Road from Baton Rouge

Café du Monde don't take reservations. You may have to wait 20 minutes but the line moves really quickly. The seating area is open to the outside and you will get powder sugar all over you so don't wear dark or nice clothes :) 

It is kid friendly. 

1. Café du Monde (restaurant)