Rudy
Tappan, New York

New Orleans

Interesting nightlife and restaurants in New Orleans wanted!

My wife and I will be visiting New Orleans for a long weekend in early November. We are looking for recommendations for cool spots to eat and drink. We like all of our senses to be stimulated when we go out so interiors are just as important as food. We like unique places where we can meet interesting people and get a flavor of the city. All recommendations are welcome!

John from Carlsbad (California)

New Orleans is the place for sensory stimulation!  There are so many good places to eat and drink, it will be hard for you to choose.  One place that comes to mind from your question is Muriel's Jackson Square.  Not only is the food great, but you get a good dose of NOLA history and you may even see the resident ghost in the Seance area upstairs.

Commander's Palace Restaurant is also beautiful and  historical,  and may be the best restaurant in town.  You can add to the experience by taking the St. Charles streetcar out there.

As for drinking, I think Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse is the best and classiest jazz club in town.

The Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone is also a fun place to drink.

1. Muriel's Jackson Square (restaurant)
  2. Commander's Palace Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse (restaurant)
  4. Carousel Bar (restaurant)
  5. Hotel Monteleone (hotel)

Diana from Cinnaminson, New Jersey

I have tons of restaurant reccomendations and reviews in my NOLA post http://coffeechalk.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/nola-trip/

I highly recc. Ruby Slipper for breakfast and Commander's Palace Restaurant for the tasting menu (and 25 cent martini's!!)

1. Ruby Slipper (restaurant)

Melissa from Chicago

I love New Orleans! Definitely get some beignets at Café du Monde. They are so delicious. In fact, I would like some right now! I also recommend  Restaurant R'evolution. But, instead of having a full dinner there, you can get crafty cocktails in the bar and the most delicious crab beignets as an appetizer. Go to Coop's Place for Abita beers and delicious Cajun fried chicken. Stanley is a great place for brunch and it overlooks Jackson Square. One of my favorite things I have ever done in NOLA is go on a bike tour through Ninth Ward Rebirth Bike Tours. And definitely check out the music scene over on Frenchmen Street. Have fun and laissez les bon temps rouler!

1. Café du Monde (restaurant)
  2. Restaurant R'evolution (restaurant)
  3. Coop's Place (restaurant)
  4. Stanley (restaurant)
  5. Jackson Square (attraction)
  6. Ninth Ward Rebirth Bike Tours (attraction)
  7. Frenchmen Street (attraction)

Mary from Louisiana

Are you staying near the French Quarter? I try to hit Coop's Place on Decatur every time I'm near the area. Food is pretty basic traditional Cajun style, and I like the atmosphere there. I also enjoy Luke Restaurant, which is a John Besh restaurant and bar. If you want to go more traditional and touristy, I would go to Café du Monde and Commander's Palace Restaurant for food, or a short drive to Mittendorfs for some famous thin fried catfish. Mother's is fantastic, also, but you must be willing to wait in line as they are always busy. If you want something different, but especially scenic, try a Jazz Lunch on the Steamboat Natchez. The food is nothing special, but the view is. To drink, you could try The Sazerac Bar at The Roosevelt New Orleans or The Avenue Pub. An excellent source to get more information about the top bars and restaurants is www.nola.com . 

1. French Quarter (restaurant)
  2. Coop's Place (restaurant)
  3. Luke Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Café du Monde (restaurant)
  5. Commander's Palace Restaurant (restaurant)
  6. Steamboat Natchez (attraction)
  7. The Sazerac Bar (restaurant)
  8. The Roosevelt New Orleans (hotel)
  9. Avenue Pub (attraction)