susan
Fort Lauderdale

New Orleans

Ideas for family trip to New Orleans?

My husband, daughter (2), and I want to take a trip to New Orleans for the weekend of Good Friday, 3 days.  New Orleans is one of those places on our bucket list.  We are not interested in the night life, but more to sight see and eat.  I would like to stay in a bed and breakfast or something historic.  Any recommendations on all that I mentioned? 

Polly from Washington, DC

Hi, Susan! I'd highly recommend the Chimes Bed and Breakfast in the Garden District. It's close to the city center, but in a calm, pretty neighborhood full of grand old houses. I believe the streetcar is up and running again (it wasn't when we visited, the summer after Katrina), making it even easier to get downtown.

As far as food goes, you have so much to chose from! Coffee and beignets at Café du Monde are a must-do when you visit the French Market. (Grab some pralines from Aunt Sally's shop for a sweet souvenir as well.) Muffaletta sandwiches from Central Grocery are perfect for lunch, as are po'boys from The Grocery. Arnaud's Restaurant and Court of Two Sisters are great for brunch, while Commander's Palace Restaurant and Antoine's Restaurant are good choices for a dinner splurge.

Enjoy your trip!

1. Chimes Bed and Breakfast (hotel)
  2. Café du Monde (restaurant)
  3. Aunt Sally's (restaurant)
  4. Central Grocery (attraction)
  5. The Grocery (restaurant)
  6. Arnaud's Restaurant (restaurant)
  7. Court of Two Sisters (restaurant)
  8. Commander's Palace Restaurant (restaurant)
  9. Antoine's Restaurant (restaurant)

Beth from El Dorado, Arkansas

Mardi Gras World is a cool place to visit.  It has all the floats from the parades housed in there.  Also, there is the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas and the Audubon Zoo for kid friendly places to see.  Have fun!

1. Mardi Gras World (attraction)
  2. Audubon Aquarium of the Americas (attraction)
  3. Audubon Zoo (attraction)