Laura
Buenos Aires

New Orleans

Good spots for jazz in New Orleans?

Hi, I'm not a jazz fan but since I'm going to New Orleans I believe I have to go to a jazz club, right?

What ones do you recommend?

Josh from Baton Rouge

1. Davenport Lounge (attraction)
  2. The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans (hotel)
  3. Hotel Monteleone (hotel)
  4. Carousel Bar (restaurant)
  5. Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro (restaurant)
  6. Frenchmen Street (attraction)
  7. House of Blues New Orleans (attraction)

Kristal from San Francisco

Hi Laura,

There's a few places I really liked in my recent trip to NOLA. While I'm not a huge fan, I can appreciate great music and New Orleans is the place to do it. There's many different types of jazz and I'm sure you'll find one you like. Plus, with a drink in hand, how can it not be fun :)

For a more soulful jazz I loved Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse inside the Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans. They have a different band play every night, but I really enjoyed the band that plays on Mondays.

For a more local area (somewhere to get away from Bourbon street), go to Frenchmen StreetThe Spotted Cat Music Club is a great place with fun, lively music (and no cover). This is a good place to go if you want to give the music scene a go because it's local so you won't encounter the craziness of Bourbon street, but there are multiple clubs and bars (most with no cover) so you can dip in and out of places and find something you really like. 

Another seriously local place (dive club really) is Candlelight Lounge, great place to just enjoy the music. Cover charge is about $10, the vibe is super fun and a great experience. 

Enjoy,

Kristal

1. Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse (restaurant)
  2. Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans (hotel)
  3. Frenchmen Street (attraction)
  4. The Spotted Cat Music Club (attraction)
  5. Candlelight Lounge (attraction)

jessica from New York City

Go to Frenchmen Street because Bourbon street has gone to pop - no more jazz there.  Walk up and down Frenchmen St and pick your poison. SO MANY OPTIONS (Most have covers).

Tip: This other place isn't jazz but it is a must, it's called Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar.  It's the oldest bar in the United States (and supposedly very haunted) and they do wonderful covers of classic piano songs. It's dark and a bit dingy because it's old but it was an awesome music spot to be at night off of bourbon street.

1. Frenchmen Street (attraction)

Stacey from Jackson, Mississippi

Don't miss Preservation Hall in the French Quarter

1. Preservation Hall (attraction)

norman from New Orleans

HI! Laura there are many good jazz bars on Bourbon Street. Just pick on on that street you will enjoy all the music in any one. if you don't like crows and a class jazz piano bar in most hotel, The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans on Canal St . is nice spot.

Norman 

1. Bourbon Street (attraction)

Zack from Brooklyn

The most famous spot is Preservation Hall but on the other side of the French Quarter is The Spotted Cat Music Club on Frenchman st which is a really cool street with some good music venues

1. Preservation Hall (attraction)
  2. The Spotted Cat Music Club (attraction)