James
Austin (Texas)

New Orleans

First time in NOLA! Where to eat?

This will be my very first time in the Big Easy and I'm looking for some hearty Creole and Cajun food. It doesn't have to be anywhere fancy or expensive, just authentic and delicious! 

John from Carlsbad (California)

Eat New Orleans is fairly new and getting rave reviews for excellent food and good prices.  It's on my list for the next trip.  Get reservations for dinner.  They don't take them for lunch or brunch and there will be a wait unless you get there when they open.  It's BYOB with no charge for first 6 pack of beer or bottle of wine and $15 for the next six or bottle.

Cochon Restaurant has great Cajun food and good value. Stellar beer list and decent wine list for this Donald Link restaurant.

Peche Seafood Grill, another Lynch restaurant has a Cajun influence but go there for outstanding seafood, along with the gumbo.
The granddaddy of popular Cajun cooking, Paul Prudhomme, still has K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen, which I think is still great.  The Gumbo is terrific.  It is fairly expensive.

Stanley is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Authentic and at very good prices.
And like a broken record, I always have to mention Commander's Palace Restaurant.  It is upscale, but egalitarian and very reasonable for the quality with a $33 three course lunch of their best dishes or two courses for about $20 (coupled with 25 cent martinis).  At dinner, they don't offer the cheap martinis, but you can get three courses for $39 and some good value wines by the glass. 

1. Eat New Orleans (restaurant)
  2. Cochon Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Peche (restaurant)
  4. K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen (restaurant)
  5. Stanley (restaurant)
  6. Commander's Palace Restaurant (restaurant)

Diana from Cinnaminson, New Jersey

I highly recc. The Ruby Slipper for breakfast and Commander's Palace Restaurant for the tasting menu (and 25 cent martini's!!)

I have tons of restaurant reccomendations and reviews in my NOLA post http://coffeechalk.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/nola-trip/

1. The Ruby Slipper (restaurant)
  2. Commander's Palace Restaurant (restaurant)

Emma from New Orleans

Mother's Restaurant on Poydras St. near the Windsor hotel has great poboys and gumbo!

1. Mother's Restaurant (restaurant)