Dianne
Miami

New Orleans

Can't miss spots when visiting New Orleans for a week?

I'll be in New Orleans August 10th-14th and I have no idea where to start. I wanna do the tourist thing but mainly I'd love to go off the beaten path and venture into some neat places! What do you recommend?

-I'm a theater major & have to do some research for Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams-

Stacey from Jackson, Mississippi

You can't do NOLA without visiting the French Quarter.  Be sure and go to see the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.  Beignets at Café du Monde, drinks at Old Absinthe House, Oysters at Acme Oyster House, hangover burger and baked potato at Port of Call, Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone (great place to stay in the Quarter).  For off the beaten path, try the Garden District and Magazine Street.

1. French Quarter (restaurant)
  2. Preservation Hall (attraction)
  3. Café du Monde (restaurant)
  4. Old Absinthe House (restaurant)
  5. Acme Oyster House (restaurant)
  6. Port of Call (restaurant)
  7. Carousel Bar (restaurant)
  8. Garden District (neighborhood)
  9. Magazine Street (attraction)

Josh from Baton Rouge

August in NOLA is EXTREMELY HOT!  You'll want to stay inside as much as possible, but you'll still have a blast!  Here are some suggestions.

Accomodations

I would recommend staying in the French Quarter. One of the more affordable hotels in that are would be the The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. It is on the edge of the Quarter on Canal, near the river. It is also across from Harrah's Casino and Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, but check all the normal hotel site to see what the best deal would be.

Experiences/Sites

My favorite place for music is the Davenport Lounge inside The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. You MUST go your first night and you probably won't want to hang anywhere else.  It is free to go to and has the feel on an old lounge from the 20's or 30's. They have music every Wed - Sat night. I would also suggest Pat O'Brien's Courtyard Restaurant for a classic NOLA experience with their dueling piano bar. Hotel Monteleone has a bar that is made from an old carousel that actually rotates around the bar.Be sure to walk down Bourbon Street and stop in one of the many famous bars for a classic drink. If you get sick of the sites or smells of Bourbon, simply walk one street over to the much calmer Royal St where you will see many fine art galleries. Head down to Jackson Square for some great people watching. My favorite place to go is the balcony Muriel's Jackson Square which is free to just go sit up on. As you walk up the stairs to the balcony you will see an empty table set with silverware and likely wine. Muriel's is said to be haunted so that is why the empty table is there. If you want to get a feel for what Mardi Gras is like head over to the Mardi Gras World. There you can see people working on the floats and see a history of Mardi Gras as well as taste some king cake. Visit The National World War II Museum if you are all into history; it is fantastic. If you happen to be in NOLA on a Friday night you can also visit Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro and see Ellis Marsalis. I believe the cover is about $20. All of Frenchmen Streethas great music.

Eating

It's hard to find a bad restaurant in NOLA but here are a few of my favorites:

The Camellia Grill for a great omelette and old diner feel. Yo Mama's Bar and Grill for a fantastic burger in the quarter. My favorite creole french cuisine is K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen. If you want a New Orleans brunch I would suggest Brennan's RestaurantCourt of Two Sisters, or Muriel's Jackson Square. As already mentioned, Café du Monde for coffee and beignets. I also love NOLA Restaurant, which is an Emeril restaurant with more affordable options than Emeril's

Let me know if you have any other questions!

1. French Quarter (restaurant)
  2. The Westin New Orleans Canal Place (hotel)
  3. Harrah's Casino (attraction)
  4. Audubon Aquarium of the Americas (attraction)
  5. Davenport Lounge (attraction)
  6. The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans (hotel)
  7. Pat O'Brien's Courtyard Restaurant (restaurant)
  8. Hotel Monteleone (hotel)
  9. Bourbon Street (attraction)
  10. Royal St (attraction)
  11. Jackson Square (attraction)
  12. Muriel's Jackson Square (restaurant)
  13. Mardi Gras World (attraction)
  14. The National World War II Museum (attraction)
  15. Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro (restaurant)
  16. Frenchmen Street (attraction)
  17. The Camellia Grill (restaurant)
  18. Yo Mama's Bar and Grill (restaurant)
  19. K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen (restaurant)
  20. Brennan's Restaurant (restaurant)
  21. Court of Two Sisters (restaurant)
  22. Café du Monde (restaurant)
  23. NOLA Restaurant (restaurant)
  24. Emeril's (restaurant)

Elizabeth from Boynton Beach

When I think of NOLA, two things come to mind: Jazz & Food. I would not miss Preservation Hall. (Order your tickets ahead of time) And here's a top 10 list of NOLA Jazz Venues. And the food! OMG! Where do you begin? Even though it's touristy beyond the pale, go to Café du Monde for Beignets and Cafe au Lait. And for dinner, there are so many, many great restaurants. One of my personal favorites is Herbsaint. Chef Link also has another award-winning place called Cochon Butcher. These two consistently make the top 10 lists. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

1. Preservation Hall (attraction)
  2. Café du Monde (restaurant)
  3. Herbsaint (restaurant)
  4. Cochon Butcher (restaurant)

Josh from New Orleans

If you could adjust and arrive on Saturday before you would make it in time for Dirty Linen night on Royal St.  It the follow up to the White Linen night the week before on Julia St.  You have a week, so plenty of time.  Get out of the French Quarter.  

You could immerse yourself bouncing from cafe to cafe reading  some Tennessee Williams or John Kennedy Toole's Confederacy of Dunces.  

You have a week so take a day to volunteer and do something.  Habitat For Humanity Restore has projects on going.  There is a great volunteer feeling to be done around the area.  I would get out of the city and recommend a morning Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve.  There are swamp tours Jean Lafitte Swamp Tour which is really cool.  If you are interested in becoming aware of the coastal issues I would recommend renting a car and drive down Hwy 23 and drive it to the end at the mouth of the Mississippi.  

Beyond this eat, drink, and chill!  So many great places!  Spend some nights Frenchmen Street going to D.B.A or The Spotted Cat Music Club.  Listend to WWOZ FM and get the live wire.  Go to Gasa Gasa for some cool music or to Chickie Wah Wah because the name is sooo cool!  I have recommend other dining places so please see those posts and have a great week!

1. Royal St (attraction)
  2. Julia St (attraction)
  3. French Quarter (restaurant)
  4. Habitat For Humanity Restore (attraction)
  5. Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve (attraction)
  6. Jean Lafitte Swamp Tour (attraction)
  7. Hwy 23 (attraction)
  8. Frenchmen Street (attraction)
  9. D.B.A (attraction)
  10. The Spotted Cat Music Club (attraction)
  11. WWOZ FM (attraction)
  12. Gasa Gasa (attraction)
  13. Chickie Wah Wah (restaurant)

Oz

Adding to your food list... 

1. Willie Mae's Scotch House was probably the best fried chicken I ever had (and also very affordable). 

Yelp link: http://www.yelp.com/biz/willie-maes-scotch-house-new-orleans

2. Creole Creamery was amazing, I still think about the Creole Cream Cheese and Basil flavors

Yelp Link: http://www.yelp.com/biz/creole-creamery-new-orleans

1. Willie Mae's Scotch House (restaurant)
  2. Creole Creamery (attraction)

Kristal from San Francisco

Hi Dianne, 

I recently visited NOLA and while the French Quarter is where everyone goes I would make sure you check out Frenchmen Street, there are more locals, the clubs are less crowded and it's not as rowdy. I also loved the Garden District to walk around, it's a different area and it has cute stores and restaurants. 

For food I loved Commander's Palace Restaurant and Coquette New Orleans

I really enjoyed the The National World War II Museum and the swamp tours. If you are into the the cemetery tours can be entertaining with a lot of information. 

1. French Quarter (restaurant)
  2. Frenchmen Street (attraction)
  3. Garden District (neighborhood)
  4. Commander's Palace Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. Coquette New Orleans (restaurant)
  6. The National World War II Museum (attraction)