Diana
Varenna

New Orleans

Areas to Stay and Bars to check out for a girls weekend!?

Hi!  My friends and I decided to go to New Orleans for a long weekend for a girls trip in October-- but we know nothing about the city!  We want to stay in an area that is walking distance from restaurants, bars, etc.  Any suggestions?  We are looking for an authentic New Orleans experience!

Luke from New Orleans

Hi Diana,

The French Quarter and Central Business District are the first options for areas to stay. They are at the heart of the city and in close proximity to numerous restaurants and bars. The downside is that you might find the rooms expensive and the areas touristy, but if you're stay is only a couple nights these areas might be preferable.

If you don't mind walking a bit, taking short taxi rides, and using public transport (nothing is very far in New Orleans for your purposes), I would look at places to stay in the Marignyand the Lower Garden District. Check out Airbnb for these neighborhoods. The accommodations will be less expensive and more authentic.

Let me know if you have any further questions (ie. notable restaurants) or specifics (ie. how long is ya'lls visit and how many are visiting) about your trip and I'd be more than happy to give more suggestions. Thanks!

Luke

1. French Quarter (restaurant)
  2. Central Business District (attraction)
  3. Marigny (attraction)
  4. Lower Garden District (attraction)

Arturo from Los Robles, Nueva Esparta, Venezuela

Stay anywhere near Bourbon Street. Thank me later!

1. Bourbon Street (attraction)

Taylor from New Orleans

I would definitely try airbnb.com for an authentic experience, there are some awesome places to stay on there!! Otherwise when it comes to walking distance, anywhere on Canal St will do the job, like the Sheraton. From Canal, you can take the streetcar uptown or along the Canal Line to the New Orleans Museum of Art. So you won't need a car to get to most of the major sites, but you will need patience because the streetcars run rather slow, but they are historic and a cool part of the tourist experience. There's plenty of interesting historic things to see in the French Quarter as well as several quality museums and wonderful restaurants... enjoy!!

1. Canal St (attraction)
  2. New Orleans Museum of Art (attraction)
  3. French Quarter (restaurant)

Ari Paul from Buffalo Grove, Illinois

Two ways to think about this: 1) the French Quarter is the typical new orleans experience but most tourists only stick to bourbon street.  There is a ton in the french quarter and Marignythat is off Bourbon Street that is pretty authentic New Orleans.  the 2nd) way is to just stick to the neighborhoods that are along magazine street like the Garden District, irish channel and uptown. In this area there are a lot of bars and restaurants that tucked away between residential areas. (Upperline, Commanders Palace, Bulldog, and other spots)  

1. French Quarter (restaurant)
  2. Marigny (attraction)
  3. Garden District (attraction)

l from Toronto

French Quarter.  It is close to everything and safe.  

1. French Quarter (restaurant)

Regan from Brooklyn

It depends how you like to travel.  I like to live like a local when I go places so I avoid French Quarter as it's all generic hotels and tourists.  I usually get an AirBnB in Marigny or Bywater as that's where the best nightlife and restaurants are.  Bourbon is fun for a couple hours to experience it--it is...um, unique--but Frenchman St and the small bars scattered around Bywater are a blast.  We went for a girls' weekend last year and danced all night at various live music venues up and down Frenchman and then outside as their was a huge brass band just jamming on a corner.  You'll have a blast no matter where you go because New Orleans is special.