• Benjamin D. Black
  • "Four impromptu days in New Mexico In July"

Four impromptu days in New Mexico In July

Thanks to Ansel Adams and Georgia O'Keefe, I have always wanted to visit New Mexico with a friend.   I have four days in late July.   Where should I go?   What should I see?  Is it too hot? What are the cool, interesting places to stay?  I don't mind $$$$ if an experience is cool.  

• Santa Fe (city)

Santa Fe New Mexico

• Taos (city)

Taos New Mexico

• JR Johnson

I think Taos is where you want to be. I've found Santa Fe to be nice but a little touristy. You need to work to get away from the touristy stuff. Taos obviously has some of that as well, but the art scene it more authentic and the town is much smaller and more rural.

The nicest place in Taos is El Monte Sagrado Resort. It's just out of downtown area, and it's got a unique design/vibe that fits with the surroundings but is still attempts to be modern/hip for the area. Spa is nice and the restaurant was good too. Caveat, it's been a few years since i've been and it's now owned by Marriott... i hope they haven't blown it because it's a cool spot. If I were on your trip, I'd stay at least one night there for sure.

1. Taos (city)
    2. Santa Fe (city)
    3. El Monte Sagrado Resort (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send JR a Thank You Note