Benjamin

New Mexico

Four impromptu days in New Mexico In July

Thanks to Ansel Adams and Georgia O'Keefe, I have always wanted to visit New Mexico with a friend.   I have four days in late July.   Where should I go?   What should I see?  Is it too hot? What are the cool, interesting places to stay?  I don't mind $$$$ if an experience is cool.  

Taos is lovely with beautiful scenery, and great artist studios to visit.  And Santa Fe is a lot of fun as well with their central square that makes wandering so much fun.  But I enjoy Albuquerque as well.  In downtown, they incorporate Route 66 is such a fun way (eat at Standard Diner).  I love the Old Town Albuquerque area with its lovely shops and patios to enjoy some New Mexican food and yummy margaritas.  And the quirkiness of Nob Hill is awesome-excellent food here too!

1. Taos (city)
  2. Santa Fe (city)
  3. Albuquerque (city)
  4. Standard Diner (restaurant)
  5. Old Town Albuquerque (attraction)
  6. Nob Hill (attraction)

JR from Manhattan Beach

I think Taos is where you want to be. I've found Santa Fe to be nice but a little touristy. You need to work to get away from the touristy stuff. Taos obviously has some of that as well, but the art scene it more authentic and the town is much smaller and more rural. 

The nicest place in Taos is El Monte Sagrado Resort. It's just out of downtown area, and it's got a unique design/vibe that fits with the surroundings but is still attempts to be modern/hip for the area. Spa is nice and the restaurant was good too. Caveat, it's been a few years since i've been and it's now owned by Marriott... i hope they haven't blown it because it's a cool spot. If I were on your trip, I'd stay at least one night there for sure.

1. Taos (city)
  2. Santa Fe (city)
  3. El Monte Sagrado Resort (hotel)

Casey from Cambridge (Massachusetts)

I agree that you should see Santa Fe but remember that there’s so much more to it than just O’Keefe. I would check out:

Museum Of International Folk Art – so much cool stuff here that I can almost guarantee you’ll never see anywhere else. There’s a wing here dedicated to the artist Alexander Girard who was kind of a kitschy designer in the 1960s which always cracks me up.

Canyon Rd – TONS of art galleries here but my favorite is a place called the Nuart Gallery. Even if you’re not planning on buying anything it’s fun to look. Have lunch at El Farol which has amazing paella.

Santa Fe Railyard Arts District – this is a fun, developing area that has a great farmer’s market called, appropriately enough, the Santa Fe Farmers Market. Amazing produce and flowers and music and people. Also, there’s an artisan’s market that has some amazing pieces that would make really, really unique gifts. I believe the farmer’s market is every Saturday and the artisan’s market is on Sundays. The chilie relleno at La Choza in this neighborhood is killer. There’s also a place called Zia Diner that has amazing fried asparagus.

If you’re up for an adventure, head to the town of Embudo where there’s a place called the Classical Gas Museum that is all about anything having to do with gasoline pumps and no, I’m not kidding. There are signs, pumps, automobiles—basically anything having to do with gasoline. You just kind of have to see it to believe it.

I would check out the Hotel St. Francis or a place to stay. It’s not considered as high-end as the other hotels mentioned (and there’s no spa) but it is gorgeous. Very cool, serene place. 

1. Santa Fe (city)
  2. Museum Of International Folk Art (attraction)
  3. Canyon Rd (attraction)
  4. Nuart Gallery (attraction)
  5. El Farol (attraction)
  6. Santa Fe Railyard Arts District (attraction)
  7. Santa Fe Farmers Market (restaurant)
  8. La Choza (restaurant)
  9. Zia Diner (restaurant)
  10. Embudo (city)
  11. Hotel St. Francis (restaurant)
  12. Classical Gas Museum (attraction)

Keith from Denver

I don’t know which part of New Mexico you’re planning on going to but if you’re into Georgia O’Keefe, you should probably stay in Santa Fe. The Georgia O'Keeffe Museum is there and it’s great if somewhat small. They have two exhibits going on this summer—one of her paintings and one photographic exhibit (I’m sure you probably know she was married to photographer Alfred Stieglitz). You can also tour her home in Abiquiuwhich is just about an hour or so out of town. She also lived at Ghost Ranch for a while (and painted it extensively) and while I’m usually not a fan of tours, they have an excellent one where they compare the actual landscape to her paintings.  It’s a really special place. They do have rooms available on the ranch but they are definitely bare bones which doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for. I think you might like either the Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi or La Fonda Hotel. Both are very rustic and true to the esthetic of the area but Inn of the Anasazi is a little more sophisticated in my opinion. As far as weather goes, it’ll probably be in the low-ish 90s but if you’re lucky, you’ll still have some thunderstorms in July. The thunderstorms in this part of the country are just amazing. 

If you like Ansel Adams, I would stop by the Andrew Smith Gallery. I don't know if they sell his work or they just exhibit it, but I know they're known for showing it. By the way, I believe that Hernandez is where Ansel Adams took his famous "Moonrise" photograph. Might as well stop by and see it!

1. Santa Fe (city)
  2. Georgia O'Keeffe Museum (attraction)
  3. Abiquiu (city)
  4. Ghost Ranch (restaurant)
  5. Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi (hotel)
  6. La Fonda Hotel (hotel)
  7. Andrew Smith Gallery (attraction)
  8. Hernandez (city)