Phillip asked

driving with stops for lunch, gas, and lodging

1. Day 1 I want to drive to Buffalo, get a hotel, then catch Niagara Falls at night, return to my hotel room for the night, catch the falls the next morning then head to Toronto. I want to stop every 2 hours for a break or hit something fun along the way with minimal detour unless I am really interested in the stop. Need to catch lunch and gas along the way. I drive a full sized SUV so need gas every 350-ish miles.

2. Day 2 is in and around Toronto. Want to find best things to do then plan routes to/from lodging.

3. Day 3 nice breakfast place then head toward Detroit. Need gas every 350 +/- miles and potty breaks every 2 hours - would like to have a reason to go one place vs just what I see along the way. Stay in a nice place in/around Detroit. Prefer Marriott brands, but would like to be closer to my activities.

4. Day 4 find some 2 or 3 things to do in or around Detroit.

5. Day 5 drive home. Same potty and gas considerations.

teach me obie wan!

New Albany Toronto   Buffalo   Niagara Falls   Detroit

Jerry from Edmonton
In toronto stay down town and walk everywhere.  Go to the top of the CN tower, the hockey museum, Wayne Gretzgy's bar, Second City comedy club and walk Young St, Kensington or Montreal markets.

Judy from Milton (Canada)
The first this is — when are you planning on this cross-border trip? Keep in mind that the border is closed.You should plan to stay in Niagara Falls Canada because of the dollar exchange. A good hotel with a Falls view is Embassy Suites or The Oaks—both great!Then take the Niagara Parkway to Niagara-on-the-Lake, full of quaint shops and surrounded by wineries.A good stop for a meal is The Lakehouse — get a reservation. Several wineries in the area also do lunches and dinners — excellent foods!Have fun!

I recommend going through Sarnia, Canada to Port Huron, Michigan. I would stay at Birch Run area and visit Frankenmuth, Michigan. Call the Bavarian Inn Hotel there. Mackinac Island is closer to that area and very beautiful.
If I go to Detroit I stay at the MGM or Greektown Casino Hotels. If you want to visit there stay at Novi, Michigan at 7 mile Rd. That is where you may find the hotels you are wanting.

Hazel
Detroit is not how people think it is. It is beautiful. Greektown is the best area. Eat at Fishbone's.

Megan from Monterey County
I did Toronto - Niagara Falls - Buffalo by train November 2019.
I would skip the hotel in Buffalo. There's no point in driving back and forth. Arrive at the Falls the afternoon/evening of Day 1 for the night view, then spend the morning of Day 2 seeing them in daylight.
If the US-Canada border is still COVID19 closed when you plan to travel, stay in or near Niagara Falls, NY. If the border is open, definitely stay in Niagara Falls, Ontario on Day 1. There are plenty of hotels and motels within walking distance of the Falls to fit every budget. Keep in mind the larger chain hotels charge hefty parking fees.
I stayed in downtown Toronto using hotel points because nightly hotel rates are really expensive. Try and find an affordable place just outside the downtown core that's near a tram or bus line or with no outrageous parking fee. Like Jerry said, it's a very walkable city and the tram system is easy to use. Take the ferry to Centre Island around sunset for a great view of the Toronto skyline. On the way back, the city lights will be lit for another terrific view.
Good luck and happy travels!