Ilya
Brooklyn (New York)

Ilya from Brooklyn (New York) asked

What are some local trekking agencies in Nepal?

I'm planning a trip to Nepal to do a trek (possibly to Everest basecamp but I'm open to others). What are some good local agencies that offer such trips?

Nepal

Tony from Seattle

We recently went on a 12 day trek to Annapurna Base Camp with a side trip to Poon Hill on the way back.  Amazing.

We used Himalayan Magic Adventures in  Kathmandu after thoroughly researching which agency to use and he was friendly and flawless.  He does better with phone calls than emails, but you can give both a shot.

Here's our blog post on the experience with links to photos:

http://www.50millionsteps.com/trekking-in-the-clouds-at-annapurna-base-camp/

If you have time, I'd recommend staying in  Bhaktapur instead of Kathmandu-- it's 40 minutes away but about 100x more charming.

Ilya
Thanks for the Answer and link to our post, it is an excellent read. I will reach out to your guide to see if I can book a tour

1. Annapurna Base Camp (attraction)
  2. Himalayan Magic Adventures (attraction)
  3. Kathmandu (city)
  4. Bhaktapur (city)
Haiwen from Santa Clara

Hi Ilya,

There many local agencies in downtown Kathmandu that offer such trips. Most agencies provide a variety options of trekking. They will usually assign you a local tour guide. In my perspective, Your experience will mostly depend on the local tour guide.

You might find a tour guide that also works at a bar in downtown, which is what I had. It was very fun.

Nepal is a great country and I have always wanted to go back. Have a good trip!

1. Kathmandu (city)
Sagar from Kathmandu

Hi Katz,

Options for travel agencies in Nepal are way too many and at times narrowing them down could be difficult. 

I would suggest doing Everest Base Camp Trek if you have time or Instant Everest Trek if you lack time. Both are offered by many travel companies and I could do them both as well.

You can also find a lot of travel agents in the Thamel area of Nepal and can get started from there.

Cheers ! 

1. Nepal (country)
  2. Thamel (attraction)