George
Ocean Grove

George from Ocean Grove asked

What are 3 things you wish someone told you before you went to Nepal?

I'm headed to Nepal in October from 1-3 months.

I'm gonna be on my own traveling light (just a 35L pack), somewhat budget (couchsurfing, hostel, ashram...), and while I have some ideas of what I'd like to see I try not to over-schedule so as to avoid feeling like I'm on a tour all the time. As of right now I was thinking of spending a week in Kathmandu, doing a short trek of Annapurna Himalayas...Pokhara, Chitwan, and Lumbini are areas I'm considering visiting depending on time and budget. As I said I'm trying to limit my schedule since the temptation will always be to see as much as possible.

I love being outside, new food I'm unfamiliar with, I'm a recording artist so music and art is always exciting. I'll probably crave some physical outlet and anything of historical and spiritual significance is fascinating to me as well.

For those who have been to Nepal or surrounding area, what are 3 things you wish you'd been told before going?

Culture, food, housing, transportation...it's all fair game.

Thanks in advance!

Nepal   Kathmandu   Himalaya   Pokhara   Chitwan   Chitwan National Park   Lumbini

Tony from Seattle

GREAT question.

For me, I wish people had stressed that avoiding Kathmandu was worth thinking about.  It's so crowded/dusty/dirty that I wish we only spent a day or two there in favor of more time trekking or in nearby Bhaktapur, which is awesome.

Second, get a porter-guide if you do trekking and don't feel guilty about it. Trekking is hard work even when you're in shape.  By hiring a porter guide ($20/day), it's a lot more fun... And it gives these folks a fun week or two trekking versus the (much harder) work they'd be doing otherwise.  Freight porters are walking 200lbs up the mountains on their backs, so you're little 15lb pack isn't going to make them break a sweat.

Third-- Go paragliding in Pokhara, Nepal.  It's one of the top places in the world to do it, and you'll never get a cheaper opportunity to do it.

Foodwise, don't get too excited about the food.  It's tasty, but hard to find a truly amazing meal.  Momos abound, eat lots of those.  Find some Newari cuisine if you can-- very different than the mishmash indian/chinese fare.

Culturewise, there are LOTS of cultures in Nepal.  There are 100 mother languages and food can be different in different spots.

Transportation is SLOW.  The roads are terrible.  Take the tourist busses versus the local busses if comfort matters to you-- the price is worth it.

Electricity is dicey.  Lots of rolling blackouts.

1. Kathmandu (city)
  2. Bhaktapur (city)
  3. Pokhara, Nepal (attraction)
Natasha from Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi George,

The three things I wish someone had told me :

1. The food is not always the best in Kathmandu. I had some (many) unpleasant food experiences in the city.

2. Flight prices from Kathmandu to Pokhara fluctuate widely. I was pressed for time and low on budget so I wanted to fly to Pokhara. This was not possible after ticket prices rose considerably when I was in Nepal.

3. Beware of creative scams in Kathmandu. I was foolishly scammed although I thought I was quite good with recognizing one considering that I have lived in Mumbai for many years. 

If you like old towns and culture, I would highly recommend spending a night or two in Bhaktapur, you can read more about it here.

If you would like to experience spirituality and Buddhist culture, then you could spend a few days in the little village of Boudhanath like I did. This was my favourite part of the Kathmandu Valley and I'd go back there happily.

Both places are very close to Kathmandu.

If you have any questions, specially about the Kathmandu Valley, please feel free to ask me here.

Cheers,

Natasha

1. Kathmandu (city)
  2. Bhaktapur (city)
  3. Boudhanath (attraction)
Janet from Emerald Hills, Ca

I had no idea when I was in Kathmandu that the birthplace of the Buddha was so close. Very cool spot. J

1. Kathmandu (city)
Danielle from Bogota

You should take a one day trip on the Kathmandu Valley by bicycle.

1. Kathmandu Valley (attraction)