Rob

Need Ideas for Memorable 40th Bday Vacation

I'm looking to take a memorable trip with a few friends for to help commemorate 40th bday. I'm looking for a place that will be warm in February that offers a mix of nightlife and day time adventure. It would be nice if it was a destination that was reasonably priced too and could reasonably do within a week. 

Mary from Gurnee

I agree with Josh on going to St John.  You can fly direct from Chicago on United to St. Thomas where you can pick up a ferry to the Island.  A beautiful  way to start a great birthday celebration.  If you stay at the Westin they will pick you up and ferry you there and greet you with complimentary drinks.  It also can be pricey but splitting the cost is doable. It is also close by open air taxi to the town of Cruz Bay which has many great bars and restaurants.  I also agree with island hopping and/or hire you own boat and captain to take you around for snorkeling and drinks at Soggy Dollar Bar (a must) or lunch on Peter Island and a day in the sun.The views are incredible from anywhere on the island and the list of activities are endless or just relaxing on the beautiful beaches.  I hope you have a great Happy Birthday wherever you go!

1. St John (island)
  2. Westin (attraction)
  3. Soggy Dollar Bar (restaurant)
  4. Peter Island (attraction)

Andy from San Francisco

I highly recommend San Francisco. It will definitely be warm in February, and you can see most of the city in about a week. I just looked and it looks like flights from Chicago to SFO in Feb is around $250. Not bad at all!As for things to do in SF, I have plenty of recommendations. Each of the following is a day long itinerary:

• The Mission and The Castro
  • Golden Gate Park, Ocean beach, Sutro baths
  • Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito, Fisherman's Wharf
  • Chinatown, North Beach, Embarcadero

You can check them out at: sftravelplanner.wordpress.com

1. San Francisco (city)

Josh from Baton Rouge

I would suggest St John, USVI.  Look at http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/ for a private villa.  Depending on the number of guests, it can be fairly inexpensive when split.  Be sure to island  hop to Jost Van Dyke Island to visit Soggy Dollar Bar and Foxy's Tamarind Bar; and also visit Virgin Gorda to see The Baths  St. John also has great food and good night life.  The ultimate pad thai at Rhumb Lines is one of my favorite dishes I have ever had.  Add more info on number of guests, budget, etc. and I can give more details.

1. St John, USVI (attraction)
  2. Jost Van Dyke Island (island)
  3. Soggy Dollar Bar (restaurant)
  4. Foxy's Tamarind Bar (restaurant)
  5. Virgin Gorda (attraction)
  6. The Baths (attraction)
  7. Rhumb Lines (restaurant)

You might wanna consider Belize there is some nice beahces with good nightlife there as well as world class diving and jungle hikes on the mainland.

I really liked Caye Caulker when I was there.

1. Belize (country)
  2. Caye Caulker (island)

Gerry from Boston

Special occasion, group of friends, gotta be Las Vegas!!!

1. Las Vegas (city)