Michelle
Trion

Michelle from Trion asked

Best way to plan/Top places to visit

I'm trying to plan a road trip with my boyfriend and adult aged kids from Memphis to the Grand Canyon in October. The trip will be from October 1st through 8th. There is tons of information, so I'm feeling overwhelmed. What is the best way to plan for this and be able to enjoy without feeling rushed? Suggestions for must do stops?

Nashville (Tennessee) Grand Canyon National Park (Arizona)

Matt from Allentown, Pennsylvania
The best way to not be rushed would be to lengthen your trip. It's roughly a 24-hour drive from Memphis to the GC. That's 2 or 3 days of driving each way - unless you want to drive non-stop in shifts, sleeping in the car. I did that once with friends when I was in college, but I would not do it now. So an 8 day trip leaves you between 2 to 4 days at the Grand Canyon. Decide in advance what you want to do. Helicopter tours and similar excursions are best booked in advance. You can drive the rim road (or take the shuttle) and hike the trails on your own. Be aware how much time the hikes into the canyon can take and pack enough water and food for everyone. Hiking from the south rim to Indian Gardens and back can be done in a day, but don't hike all the way to the bottom unless you plan to camp overnight (in which case you probably need to reserve a site in advance).