Allie
Charleston

Nashville

Unsung eats of Nashville?

Going to be spending a quick weekend in Nashville and it's going to be packed downtown. Looking for good, simple, local food near downtown... 

Sean from Hudson Valley

My mother & stepfather lived in Nashville for about 15 years.  While I visited, he turned me onto a place called Gerst Haus.  It's been around for 60 years, now.  It's simple, wholesome, and very tasty, German fare.  Whenever I visited, my grandfather and I would sneak out there for pig's knuckles and beer. 

I like southern food, but this was a nice break from it!   

It's located at 301 Woodland Street, Nashville. Phone; 615 244-8886.

I don't know if they still do this (or why they did it at the time), but you need to pay for your beer in exact change.  The beer tab was kept separate from the food tab.  They'd bring you your bill, you'd give them a large bill, and they'd break the bill so that you could pay for your beer.  We'd always laugh about it.

1. Gerst Haus (restaurant)

I don't know that I would call them unsung, but I think on any trip to Nashville, a meal needs to be had at Monell's Dining and Catering.  Fantastic Southern food! It is in a communal environment, so be prepared to have a complete stranger ask you to pass the potatoes.  It is well worth a visit in my opinion. 

1. Monell's Dining and Catering (restaurant)