Brenda
Long Beach

Naples, Sorrento

Safety at the train station getting to Sorrento from Naples

Okay, so I am not a scaredy cat traveler, but I am hearing bad things about the train transfer from Naples to the Circumvesuviana. We are two small single women. I told my friend to pack light so we will only have one suitcase a piece. Are we in danger? I have traveled solo through Spain and Paris and never had a problem bit I have heard some scary stories about the station and local train to get to Sorrento.

Anna from Naples

Oh don't worry. I'm not saying it's completely safe and you can go around with your rucksack open for the world to rummage in, but just, stay close to your friend, be careful of your surroundings (what you normally do on big cities' metros, I believe) and you'll be more than ok. 
The scary stories are the ones that helps people be more vigilant and keep their eyes open and also, they are the one that are most remembered...the over-crowding due to the scarcity of trains going to and fro is the real bad guy to blame. 

Don't be worried and enjoy Sorrento as well as the Amalfi coast in general! 

Valerie from Seattle

What time of day are you traveling?

I came through Napoli Centrale during the day and didn't have any problem at all. I was traveling alone, and even worse, I was very ill with what I came to realize was the flu--meaning I was definitely not as aware of my surroundings as I should have been. (Honestly, I was of the opinion that anyone who came near me would deserve to catch whatever I got, and I couldn't feel any worse than I did.)

Given that, I spent most of my time in the city walking around, and found that I had to be very conscious of my surroundings, but nobody gave me any trouble. The walk to Stazione di Porta Nolana looks like it's about 10 minutes, on the main roads. Make sure you know your street names, put on your "don't **** with me" face, and you should be fine! Good luck!

1. Napoli Centrale (attraction)
  2. Stazione di Porta Nolana (attraction)

Steve

You go downstairs to catch the Circumvesuviana in Naples. It is probably as scary as a subway station in New York City. You won't wait long, and just be aware of your surroundings. 

1. Naples (city)