Joshua
Reno

Naples, Positano, Amalfi Coast, Tuscany, Rome, Capri

Need specific itinerary with 2 year old - we still want to have fun

Hi all, I have been reading some posts so far and your input is stellar.

We will be going to Naples in June. We need a safe place to stay in Naples when we land, our flight lands late at night. Any specific suggestions and what is the safest transport method there?

After that we are happy to get out and venture. The day after we land, we are planning to go to Sorrento and and the Amalfi Coast for 2-4 days. Then we want to travel North for 4-6 days and do some wine tasting (potentially in Tuscany unless you think its overrated and there are more special places) and see the coast (non-super touristy places please). We will have a two year old and some help with us. We do not currently have any hotels, transportation, or places to go so we would really appreciate specific input on where to stay, what to see and do, places to do wine tasting and great food. We like all types of foods (seafood and steak for sure), non-touristy but really special places, we can hike, go most places, so feel free to let us have it with your great suggestions.

Thanks in advance for helping to make our trip special.

Dave from Houston
Sometimes less is more when planning travel. When you try to do too much you burn up vacation time checking in, packing up, checking out, traveling between hotels, etc. 
Of all the places you've mentioned I believe the best of the lot is Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. If I was traveling with the toddler and help I'd rent a car and an apartment in Sorrento for a week and do day trips from there. Nice to have a bedroom where you can put the child away in the evening, and a living room where adults can gather.
All of these amazing and wonderful destinations are within about an hour from Sorrento: Naples, Capri, Ravello, Amalfi, Positano, Herculaneum, and Pompeii. Sorrento itself is a delight with great restaurants and marvelous old town. Capri alone could be worth two days and a high speed ferry to the island leaves from Sorrento. The drive along the Amalfi Coast is one of the world's most scenic.
We did this several years ago and a week was barely enough. We rented this amazing and wonderful apartment on that trip https://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g616172-d5768558-Elegant_3_bedroom_spacious_apartment_near_Sorrento-Piano_di_Sorrento_Province_of_Naple.html
YouTube.com is a fabulous resource for travels like this. Go there online and search for Positanto walking tour, Amalfi walking tour, Ravello, etc. You'll quickly get a great feel for what each of these places is like.
This is one of the views from Ravello and our table for lunch at the Hotel La Sirenuse in Positano

John from Carlsbad (California)
I can't really help you in the Amalfi coast, but I would look at non-stop trains from Naples to Florence .  There are quite a few each day and the take just under 3 hours for about 40 euros per adult.  You can take wine tours from Florence or explore yourself.  I would recommend you stay at least four days to see the area.  You will need a car to see the wine areas of Tuscany, and you can pick one up in Florence.  We recently stayed in Tuscany for two weeks.   One week was in the village of Castellina in Chianti, which makes a great base for exploring the Chianti region.  I don't think the area is overrated at all.  I would caution that driving the area is not easy as most of the roads are two lanes and they have many curves.  Italian drivers tend to stay about 3 feet from your rear bumper if they think you aren't going fast enough.
Castellina is a charming town with very friendly people and a number of very good restaurants. We stayed in a small stone house called the Apartment "DA BACCO" in the center of town that is rented out by the Hotel Colle Etrusco Salivolpi.  It has three stories, with a wine shop on the first floor, a living/dining/kitchen on the 2nd floor, and a bedroom and bath on the 3rd floor.  I'm not sure it is practical for a couple with a child because it has rather steep stairs.  However, the hotel is about 1 km from the center of the village, and they have very nice rooms.  We also met the very engaging young owner of Villa Cristina, a 6 room B & B in the center of the village.  I would not hesitate to stay there, and he is a fountain of information on the area.
You can leave your car in Pisa, which is the closest real airport, or return it in Florence and take the train to pise for the return flight.  Have a great trip!

2. Tuscany (state)
  3. Castellina in Chianti (city)
  4. Hotel Colle Etrusco Salivolpi (hotel)