Lorin

Naples, Amalfi Coast, Positano

Best way to get from Naples to Positano and/or Amalfi + hotel advice?

My boyfriend and I will be flying into Naples in a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to Amalfi and/or Positano. Also, Where is the best area to stay as a home base so we can visit both places, we love boutique style hotels?  We are kind of on a budget and will be staying for 3 days & nights. Thank you!

Anna from Naples

Well, you can take the Circumvesuviana (direction: Sorrento) or take the ferry. The best suggestion I can give you is getting to the Central Station in Naples (Circumvesuviana Piazza Garibaldi) and ask to the Info Point that's there. They can give you much more infos and other routes (sometimes in Spring-Summer there is the possibility to go by boat, and it's quite interesting.)

1. Sorrento (city)
  2. Naples (city)
  3. Circumvesuviana Piazza Garibaldi (attraction)

Desirae

We rented a car from Naples to Amalfi. I agree with another traveler that said Naples was sketchy. We couldn't get out of that city fast enough! We used the website www.agriturismo.it to book our apartment. We stayed at J. Holiday House for only $60 a night and felt like locals! It was wonderful! Our favorite meal experience was at Serafina in Agerola. Kindest people you will ever meet and the food was fabulous! !!

1. Naples (city)
  2. Amalfi (city)

Vicky from Los Angeles

Most convenient way would be to take the seasonal ferry from Naples to Positano but you should check first - I believe the ferry service is only in the summer months (which may start in April). I've also taken the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento and then the bus - it was long and exhausting. In Positano, I stayed at a B&B located right next to Le Sirenuse called Residence La Tavolozza (website), it shares the same amazing view at a fraction of the price. You must go have lunch at Da Adolfo - it's an experience! Take the boat with the red fish sign from the pier at noon, rent a beach lounge and hang out there in the afternoon. I was there over 6 years ago (I wrote about it here) and I heard it's gotten so popular now that you need to make reservation. 

1. Naples (city)
  2. Positano (city)
  3. Sorrento (city)
  4. Le Sirenuse (hotel)
  5. Da Adolfo (restaurant)
  6. Residence La Tavolozza (hotel)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

I've only taken a taxi from Naples. Not cheap, but very convenient. Naples is kind of sketchy, so be on your toes. Lots of theft, sale of fake goods, etc. Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast are incredible. May be worthwhile to rent a scooter to get around between Positano and Amalfi, which would also allow you to explore some of the little coves, beaches, etc.  

And try to make it up to Ravello. An amazing place. Lunch, dinner or a drink at Hotel Palazzo Avino followed by a walk to the main palazzo is a great way to spend a few hours.

1. Naples (city)
  2. Sorrento (city)
  3. Amalfi Coast (region)
  4. Positano (city)
  5. Ravello (city)
  6. Hotel Palazzo Avino (hotel)

Andrew from Downtown Los Angeles

The Circumvesuviana train line connects the Amalfi Coast to Naples 

you can find a train schedule in Italian here: http://www.eavcampania.it/web/orario

You'll need to take a train to Sorrento and then a bus to Positano

In addition a ferry runs from Naples to Sorrento

(also goes to Capri)

Rio2Rome.com says the trip will be $10

sorry I don't know much about places to stay the night in the area.

1. Amalfi Coast (region)
  2. Naples (city)
  3. Sorrento (city)
  4. Positano (city)
  5. Capri (city)