Luke
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Napa Valley, San Francisco, Sonoma

Recommendations for 3 days honeymoon in "Wine Country"

I'm looking for good suggestions of romantic attractions and places to stay for 4 days of my honeymoon in "Wine Country" in July. Wine tours, site seeing and relaxing are the priorities! Something romantic but affordable is what we're looking for!

Veronica from San Francisco, California

I live in the Bay Area and get to wine country a lot! I'd recommend Sonoma over Napa - it's less touristy so you can get a more romantic feel. Also, Sonoma tasting fees are lower and are almost always applied to the purchase of a bottle. Napa tasting prices are much much higher, especially for anything romantic, and are often NOT applied to the purchase of wine.

A few places I'd like to recommend:

• BobDog Winery. The draw: you take a slow drive up the mountain/hillside through the vineyards, it's really beautiful. The wines are also quite affordable.
  • Downtown Healdsburg The draw: a cute downtown where every block has 2-4 tasting rooms. Williamson Wines does a food pairing for free. Other places offer food pairings as well. There are also cute shops and parks in the area. I've stayed overnight in the Healdsburg and Cloverdale area. It's a nice location.
  • Buena Vista Carneros Winery: The draw: pretty setting and pretty tasting room. They offer picnic lunches as well. (I haven't been here yet, but it's on my list) http://www.buenavistawinery.com/index.cfm
  • Any of the wineries in the Russian River area: they are never crowded, they are all so pretty, and the drive is gorgeous. 
  • A cave tour: a lot of wineries have tours of the caves or tastings. It's a fun little romantic thing to do.
  • A picnic lunch: a lot of wineries will even sell you the picnic lunch and you can eat it on their property.
  • Stop and enjoy a bottle: a lot of wineries have porches and gorgeous sitting areas. You can buy a bottle and just sit outside, taking in the amazing views of the vineyards.

There are a lot of great bed and breakfasts in wine country. I've stayed at one that was cute, but not very romantic, so I don't have much to personally recommend for that.

Some wineries have houses for rent. I know De Loach Winery & Vineyards is one of them. But several offer them (though it might be pricey).

1. Sonoma (city)
  2. Napa (city)
  3. BobDog Winery (attraction)
  4. Healdsburg (city)
  5. Williamson Wines (restaurant)
  6. Cloverdale (city)
  7. Buena Vista Carneros Winery (attraction)
  8. Russian River (region)
  9. De Loach Winery & Vineyards (attraction)

Shanel from New Jersey

We loved Sonoma as another option to Napa! We stayed at Inn At Sonoma www.innatsonoma.com, an easy couple walking blocks from Sonoma Plaza. Recommend eating at The Girl and the Fig www.thegirlandthefig.com, as well hiking at Jack London State Historic Park and then lunch in Glen Ellen at Yeti Restaurant www.yetirestaurantusa.com. Drive to Kunde Family Estate for mountain top wine tasting ($40 pp -- reserve a week before, www.kunde.com/mountain-top). Additionally: we enjoyed the Viansa Winery www.viansa.com, a Tuscan winery with unique California/Italian blends; also here's a Sonoma Plaza map of wineries http://sonoma.towns.pressdemocrat.com/2012/01/news/take-the-sonoma-square-winewalk/ 

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

1. The Girl and the Fig (restaurant)
  2. Jack London State Historic Park (attraction)
  3. Yeti Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Viansa Winery (attraction)
  5. Inn At Sonoma (hotel)
  6. Sonoma Plaza (attraction)
  7. Kunde Family Estate (attraction)

Veronica from San Francisco

They're a little "spendy," but I love Bardessono. It's where I was married, in fact! They can do in-room couples massages, which are very nice.

I also love Solage Calistoga, which has an amazing pool and spa as well.
So those are my top picks, though they're not very affordable. On that note, I would actually recommend renting an Airbnb place! I've done that several times, and you save a lot of money. Plus, the owners can usually recommend many wineries in the area to visit.

Winery-wise, I love Del Dotto Estate Winery & Caves, and Chappellet Winery
Many places have free tastings, just be sure to ask the concierge!

1. Bardessono (hotel)
  2. Solage Calistoga (hotel)
  3. Del Dotto Estate Winery & Caves (attraction)
  4. Chappellet Winery (attraction)

Lisa from Petaluma

Not to overturn your plans, but the affordable part is what's tough. One thought is that you might consider staying in Sonoma Valley rather than Napa Valley. They are neighboring valleys (and it's pretty easy to drive over the hill from one to the other for a day), and wine tasting, hotels, and meals will all be comparable, but slightly less expensive there. My favorite wine tasting valley is actually Dry Creek Vineyard in Sonoma County (just outside Healdsburg).If you're driving, you'll find cheaper hotels and such in Santa Rosa (California) rather than Sonoma, Healdsburg or Napa towns, although those towns are all somewhat more scenic, Also, try airbnb. And plan at least one picnic--most wineries have nice picnic areas, you pack a lunch, buy a bottle of wine and get to eat it in some of the most romantic, beautiful settings you'll ever eat in. 

1. Sonoma Valley (attraction)
  2. Napa Valley (metro area)
  3. Santa Rosa (California) (city)
  4. Healdsburg (city)
  5. Dry Creek Vineyard (attraction)

Dave from California

Couple of wineries with romantic themes or properties that are conducive for romance in Napa are:
Barnett Vineyards
O'Brien Estate Winery
St. Clement Vineyards
Chateau Montelena

A bit pricy but one of the more in depth wine tours is with George Hendry, at Hendry Winery - daily at 10am (reservations a must).

A beautiful hike is to table rock from Highway 29 at the summit where it crosses over the county line from Napa to Lake County (about 15-20 mins from Calistoga). The hike is about 2 miles one way on a trail - great views once you reach Table Rock.

Also check out the spa's and mud baths in Calistoga.

1. Barnett Vineyards (attraction)
  2. O'Brien Estate Winery (attraction)
  3. St. Clement Vineyards (attraction)
  4. Chateau Montelena (attraction)
  5. Hendry Winery (attraction)
  6. Table Rock (attraction)
  7. Calistoga (city)

Jeanne from San Francisco

Stay at Rustridge Winery, B & B and Ranch in the hills above St. Helena. Incredibly beautiful and relaxing.

1. Rustridge Winery, B & B and Ranch (attraction)

Luke-check out the answer I just wrote to Danielle Lipke....