Tandy
Miami

Napa

Other foodie things to do besides wine tasting

I'm taking a trip to Napa with a group of foodaholic friends, however, two of them don't drink, so I'd like to figure in some Napa food experiences into the trip that don't involve wine tasting.

Napa's not just about wine tasting; there are a ton of other amazing food experiences to be had! 

Besides tastings, there are a ton of great restaurants, too.  Yountville is where you want to be for that.  Acclaimed chef Thomas Keller actually has three restaurants there.  Here's a list of Yountville suggestions with his three restaurants listed first:

• The French Laundry (sure you've heard of that!)
  • ad hoc -- American food
  • Bouchon -- French-inspired
  • Bottega -- Italian restaurant owned by a Top Chef, as in the show!  Enough said.
  • Redd -- Good American food and the restaurant decor has a more modern touch compared to other places on the street
  • Bistro Jeanty -- Awesome French restaurant
  • étoile Restaurant -- This one's actually at the lovely Domaine Chandon.  Yet another great French restaurant.  Do the tasting menu

Eat your heart out :)

1. The French Laundry (restaurant)
  2. ad hoc (restaurant)
  3. Bouchon (restaurant)
  4. Bottega (restaurant)
  5. Redd (restaurant)
  6. Domaine Chandon (restaurant)
  7. Round Pond (attraction)
  8. Anette's Chocolates (restaurant)
  9. Napa Valley Toffee Company (attraction)
  10. Raymond And Co Cheese (attraction)
  11. Sift Cupcake & Dessert Bar (restaurant)
  12. Bistro Jeanty (restaurant)
  13. étoile Restaurant (restaurant)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Last time we were in Napa we went to the Meadowood for croquet, followed by dinner at the restaurant.  This is a great inn and resort with a few croquet fields.  After a day of wine tasting (or, as an alternative), you can put on whites, play some croquet, eat wine and cheese, then have dinner in The Restaurant At Meadowood, which is out of this world.  

Meadowood has all the croquet equipment, plus a croquet pro who can give you lessons. You definitely have to set it up in advance. Its not a show up and rent kind of thing. Reservations would be necessary. Also, Bon Appetit recently named the restaurant at Meadowood #2 on its list of America's Most Important Restaurants, so you'll want to have a reservation if you want to eat there.

1. Meadowood (attraction)
  2. The Restaurant At Meadowood (restaurant)

Sunil from Mountain View

Definitely do the olive oil tasting at Round Pond.  I never thought I'd enjoy tasting oil, but I'm glad that my friends dragged me.  I learned way more about olive oil than I ever thought was possible and it was fun, not to mention tasty.  We left with a few bottles of their infused olive oil.

1. Round Pond (attraction)

Avery from Berkeley

With great wine comes great food, so you're not going to be at a loss for food experiences in the Napa area!  There are so many great, well-known restaurants that aren't overrated.  I would say that the two most famous are The French Laundry and Morimoto.  They cost a pretty penny, but are totally worth it if you all are foodies!

1. The French Laundry (restaurant)
  2. Morimoto (restaurant)