Bernadette
Ohio

Mykonos, Greece

Is it safe to travel with my sister in Greece?

Hello everyone, my sister and I we leaving for Greece and Rome next month. Someone just told me that Greece was the capital of human  trafficking.  Now I'm very afraid to go.  Can anyone give me information please.  Thank you. 

Polly from Washington, DC

You will be absolutely fine.

First, whoever told you that Greece was the capital of human trafficking was incorrect. Thailand, one of the chief offenders, gets millions of visitors every year. Greece has a much better record than Russia or China as well. Greece is mainly on the list because it's an "in-between" point - people abducted from Eastern Europe, Asia, or Africa are moved on to other places through Russia, Greece, or Turkey.

Second, modern-day slavery isn't like 'Taken', despite what Hollywood might want you to think. The vast, vast majority of people who are preyed upon are already vulnerable, due to poverty, gender, youth, and nationality. Their friends and families typically don't have access to the law or media for recourse, and their governments look the other way.

As Liz said, take the usual precautions that you would take anywhere (including at home) and have an amazing time in Mykonos!

Liv from Cape Cod

I never felt unsafe. Everyone was kind and welcoming, but keep in mind to always take safety precautions wherever you go. Never go anywhere by yourself at night but other than that you're going to have a great time! Have fun in Mykonos, my favorite island :)

1. Mykonos (city)