Ségolène

Myanmar

Where should I go in Myanmar?

Hi there,

I'm heading to Myanmar for 4 weeks in October. I'm used to not really planning my trips and see where they take me.

I'm just want to know if there's anything I should really try see and/or places I shouldn't miss. I want to explore Rangoon a bit, Bagan, the Inle Lake region, perhaps indulge by the beach a bit. I heard that Mrauk U was beautiful, but can foreigners go there at the moment?

Sego

Katharina from Hong Kong

Wow, 4 weeks is quite a lot. I wish I had so much time when I went there in May.
As you probably will be landing in Rangoon it is worth staying there for a couple of days to see the Shwedagon Pagoda and other sights. I can also really recommend Inle Lake and Old Bagan. Lake Inle was my personal Myanmar highlight and I think it is worth staying there a bit longer. Friends of mine went to Thandwe (Ngapali Beach) and loved it and felt safe as well. In general I had the impression that Burmese people are extremely friendly and welcoming. The concept of tourism is quite new to them so they will do their best to make tourists feel comfortable.

Just one last advise, if you plan on flying between the different destination it's worth booking in advance through a local agency as October is already the beginning of high season and there are not many domestic flights yet. 

1. Rangoon (city)
  2. Shwedagon Pagoda (attraction)
  3. Inle Lake (attraction)
  4. Old Bagan (city)
  5. Thandwe (city)

sandar from Yangon

October is high season in Myanmar. Good time to travel. Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay, Inle Lake are should not missed destinations for 1st time traveler to Myanmar. You can choose different options of travel by bus or flight or train to access these areas. But trains are not yet recommended. As it is high season, every travel arrangements can be tight. Pre arrangements with hotels, and other bookings are recommended. For more info, check www.joynpeacetravel.com .you can contact us at sandar.joynpeace@gmail.com

1. Myanmar (country)
  2. Yangon (city)
  3. Bagan (city)
  4. Mandalay (city)
  5. Inle Lake (attraction)