K

Myanmar, Southeast Asia, Bangkok, Bagan, Vietnam, Cambodia

Recommendations for 3 week honeymoon itinerary in Southeast Asia

I'm planning a three week honeymoon in Southeast Asia in February (wish I could go for 2 months instead)!  I really want to go to Bagan, Myanmar.  Likely will fly in and out of Bangkok since those seem to be the cheapest flights.  We want to experience some city, some cultural/historical sites and some beach/diving.  Any recommendations for 3 week itineraries?  I don't mind short flights to different places, don't know when I will back to that region so want to experience the best it has to offer!  

Valorie from Spokane, Washington

I did a two week trip through Thailand over Christmas and saw so much and didn't feel like we moved too fast... We flew into Bangkok for cheapest flights (there is a ton of history and temples, markets to see) but I was ready to leave as soon as we did the usual (I wouldn't stay longer than 3 days. We did two, mainly to book travel within the country) My favorite island was Koh Tao. It was smaller and soooo beautiful. It has great snorkeling and the perfect place to spend your honeymoon. We stayed at the end of the island and our hotel was epic with our our wrap around patio looking over the water. (Dusit Buncha Resort.) I did a series of blogs while I was there (www.skinnyfatgirldiary.com/thailand) and getting up north to Chiang Mai was the best decision we made. It was great to see other island like Koh Samui (partying). Koh Phi Phi (The Beach) but they were way more touristy. Chang Mai we did a four days there and could have stayed for two weeks and still had stuff to do. We did a Thai cooking class, elephant trekking, pet tigers, explored night markets and adored the city. In the four days between the two of us with all those adventures and accommodations we only under $400! We didn't make it to Burma, but dying to get back.

1. Thailand (country)
  3. Koh Tao (island)
  4. Chiang Mai (city)
  5. Koh Samui (island)
  6. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  7. Dusit Buncha Resort (hotel)

Alyse from Adelaide

Hey guys, what a cool way to spend your honeymoon!!  Congrats! You're going to love Myanmar. Two weeks will be tight but totally doable. Are you going to get your entry visas in advance or in Bangkok? Just keep in mind it takes at least a couple days if you do that route. Also consider flying from Bangkok to mandalay, making your way down the country. as you probably know the country is big and you'll want to minimize your transit days. As for 2 week itinerary, I'd make sure to hit up Hsipaw if you love trekking, it's a bit of a detour from mandalay but it's so worth it. Some people give mandalay a bad rap but we had such an incredible experience there (we just wrote about our month stay there http://freeyourmindtravel.com/destinations/asia/myanmar/ )budget a couple days for Old Bagan, and then Rangoon and Kyaikhteeyoe Pagoda. although its beautiful I'd say with the limited time Inle lake is probably skipable. If you give yourself a little more time in the other cities you'll enjoy it way more and have more time for exploring and finding your own little gems. Any other questions let us know. Enjoy!!

Alyse & Ross

1. Myanmar (country)
  2. Old Bagan (city)
  3. Rangoon (city)
  4. Kyaikhteeyoe Pagoda (attraction)

If you are flying in and out of Bangkok, it is roughly an hour flight (try Bangkok Air) to Siem Reap. It is a vibrant town, incredibly friendly and gracious and the temples are absolutely jaw dropping (Angkor Wat). We stayed at the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort and loved every single minute if it-from the local music being played live in the lobby to the oil scented hallways.

1. Siem Reap (city)
  2. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  3. Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort (hotel)