Koala

Myanmar

Hire a car and driver

Hello 

We are 3 girls who want to travel through Myanmar in two weeks from 26.3 to 8.4. We would like to hire a car plus driver. Do you have some informations about what the costs are and how it works.? Or has someone a contact? 

Sunny greets 

Katie :)

Rasto from Edmonton

Hi Katie,

I returned from Myanmar where I spent about 3 weeks in Jan-2017. It's a beautiful country with warm people and I wish I had more time to spend there.

First of all, you have to realize that for Myanmar you need the entry visa and those are valid only for entry point shown on your visa. Then roughly half of the country is still off limit for foreigners and you are not allowed to go there. Some places you are allowed to travel only with gov't approved travel agency. If you are aware of these and already have visa, good! Otherwise, get the e-visa first (USD 50) at https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

Back to your question. It is possible to hire a car with driver and many times cheaply, but you have to look around and do not get scammed. Always ask first for prices in hotel/hostel you will be staying in to get an idea. Never fall for the first guy offering you service especially if it is at the airport or touristy places. I think it is better to hire locally for 1-3 days and then another one in a different place rather than someone for 2 weeks. Locals are always better familiar with the area and you don't have to worry about where they spend a night which might be another expense for you.

To give you an idea here are some examples how much I paid for private transportation (Jan-2017):

• Hsipaw to Mandalay private shared car (~210km): 15,000 MMK / person

• Mandalay to Pyin Oo Lwin train station by private shared car (~70km): 22,000 MMK (2 people)

• Full day trip by private car with driver from Bagan to hike Mt. Popa and see Taung Kalat monastery (~100km return trip): 50,000 MMK (2 people)

• Renting e-bike for full day in Bagan 7,000 MMK

Hope this helps, have a great trip!

1. Myanmar (attraction)