Jay
Brooklyn

Munich

What should I do during a 24-hour layover in Munich in November?

I'm a twenty-something backpacker. Beer gardens/halls are a must -- which ones? And what else should I do?

Terry from Sarasota

The responses so far are quite good, and I agree that the Hofbrauhaus will be loud as it is quite large !   The beer is good there, the pretzels are excellent as well.

Marienplatz is mostly shopping, but all pedestrian traffic as cars are not allowed there.  Do see the Glockenspiel march at the Rathaus once per hour, grab a table and have a beer while you wait for the hour to strike.

The response regarding Augustiner Biergarten and Paulaner Am Nockherberg was quite good, both are excellent beers, however, I feel that Paulaner is the better.  For some added perspective, try a weissbier, which is wheat based rather than hop based.

Bavarian food is excellent, many variations of sausage and cheese, and almost all the breads are top notch.  Most bier halls and outdoor bier gartens also serve food, and the food tends to be quite good.

If you get tired of Marienplatz and/or the The English Garden, the BMW Museum is interesting, as is the site of the 1972 Olympics, which is now a large Munich city park - but all the Olympic facilities were turned into various usage(s) for that park.  Still a beautiful site, and the U Bahn - Trambahn Verwaltung (the Munich Metro System) is just 2 blocks away.

Speaking of which, the Munich public transportation system is awesome, and is comprised of an underground subway, above grounds buses and trams and they cover the entire city and it's suburbs.

Have a good trip, and enjoy the beer there, as it is easily some of the best in the world !

1. Marienplatz (attraction)
  2. Augustiner Biergarten (restaurant)
  3. Paulaner Am Nockherberg (attraction)
  4. The English Garden (attraction)
  5. BMW Museum (attraction)
  6. U Bahn - Trambahn Verwaltung (attraction)

bogdan from Bucharest

You should visit the city center,  Marienplatz, it is a nice place to see and has many attractions around to visit. Then you can go to  Hofbräuhaus, one of the most famous beer halls in Munich.

If you need a place to stay i recommend you The Tent camping (the-tent.de), it's very nice place full with tourists from all over the place.

1. Marienplatz (attraction)
  2. Hofbräuhaus (restaurant)
  3. The Tent (hotel)

Eleanor from Hong Kong

The oldest beer hall is Hofbräuhaus, u should drink a maß(1 litre beer) there! U can't miss the Old town hall in Marienplatz(be sure not to miss the Glockenspiel at noon time), amazing historical architecture. When u r in Marienplatz, don't forget to check out the famous Viktualienmarkt! Do take a stroll along The English Garden ! Perhaps u can ski too! 

1. Hofbräuhaus (restaurant)
  2. Marienplatz (attraction)
  3. Viktualienmarkt (attraction)
  4. The English Garden (attraction)

Jorg from Orgeval

I guess the most famous is this one :

Hofbräuhaus am Platzl, right in the city center and shopping district.

Personally, I find it too loud and inconvenient. 

My personal favorite is Weisses Bräuhaus, also in the city.

And by the way, you don't just drink there, but get the typical bavarian food as well !

1. Hofbräuhaus am Platzl (restaurant)
  2. Weisses Bräuhaus (restaurant)

Sandra from McMinnville (Oregon)

My theory "Go Big or Go Home". If your in Munich and looking for a beirhall look no further than Hofbräuhaus am Platzl.  If you are only there for 24 hours (and you have no other stops in Germany allowing yourself time to do the following), My highest recommendation is to go see Dachau. It's just outside of Munich itself. It is the site of one of the former concentration camps that has been turned into a memorial. Do the memorial first and then work your way back into town for the beer.  

1. Hofbräuhaus am Platzl (restaurant)
  2. Dachau (attraction)

Radley from Cluj-Napoca

If you want an Oktoberfest feel without actually being there for the event your best bet is Hofbräuhaus. The menu and atmosphere is perfect, even down the waitress' garb. And depending on what night you go they might have German traditional folk bands playing live.

1. Hofbräuhaus (restaurant)