Abe
La Jolla

Munich, Germany

What must I see and do in Munich?

I will be in Munich in the fall, what MUST I do while I am in the city? I will be there for 2 weeks so I have plenty of time to explore. What do the locals like to do, eat, see?

Markus from Kreuzlingen

If your time in Munich in fall matches the time of Oktoberfest you definitely have to visit. Not only once, but twice (one visit for fun, one for drinking... *g*). Then there is Deutsches Museum where tons of technical stuff is explained, must see for a guy imho. Englischer Garten is nice to hang out or go for a run. If you want to leave the city and the weather is nice there are lakes like Starnberger See or Ammersee in reach with public transport - if you go to Ammersee make sure to visit Andechs Monastery, they have awesome beer. If you are into European history you could visit Dachau Concentration Camp, but this might be quite heavy depending on what you want. Within Munich I can recommend Viktualienmarkt for some groceries shopping or coffee - you might see celebrities there on Saturday.

1. Munich (city)
  2. Oktoberfest (attraction)
  3. Deutsches Museum (attraction)
  4. Englischer Garten (attraction)
  5. Starnberger See (attraction)
  6. Ammersee (attraction)
  7. Andechs Monastery (attraction)
  8. Dachau Concentration Camp (attraction)
  9. Viktualienmarkt (attraction)

Georgia from Long Island (New York)

we were three ladies (20-50-80) and not there long enough, so please keep in mind our limits.  we arrived on a Friday afternoon (city center and train station uninteresting and sketchy) but evening walking through the Marienplatz it seemed that was the right place to be- for people watching and merriment.  We returned the second night for dinner at Hofbräuhaus which is very touristy, but so much fun. As far as things to see, on Saturday we took hop on/off bus to get our bearings and we enjoyed the BMW Welt (BMW museum and Olympic village) but not so much the Nymphenburg Palace since we had our fill of more interesting palaces and gardens in Vienna and Salzburg.  Aunt wished to attend Sunday mass at St. Peters which was interesting (historic information inside and also a tower that we didn't climb) but rest of day was very quiet- many things closed. We noticed so  many bike riders- and that would be a must do next time- especially to see the surfers at the English Garden.  I guess much depends on your age and interests, but it seemed that there was something for everyone. 

1. Marienplatz (attraction)
  2. Hofbräuhaus (restaurant)
  3. BMW Welt (attraction)
  4. Nymphenburg Palace (attraction)
  5. English Garden (attraction)